Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Who needs eye exams >

Who needs eye exams

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Who needs eye exams

Old 08-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who needs eye exams

Last week I was talking with a small group of self professed "optics experts" at my club. These fellows are not shy about opining as to which scope or binoculars is the "best" to anyone within earshot (or has internet access).

One guy made a comment about it being about time to get new glasses - at Walmart. I asked him how often he saw an ophthalmologist or optometrist, and he answered that he saw someone every few years - as needed. He just goes to a retail optician and buys new glasses as cheaply as possible.

A couple of the other guys agreed that this was what they did also.

Really makes you wonder about "optics experts".
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I asked him how often he saw an ophthalmologist or optometrist, and he answered that he saw someone every few years - as needed. He just goes to a retail optician and buys new glasses as cheaply as possible.
Not the best avenue.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thousands of dollars on scopes and binoculars, and fifty dollars on eyeglasses seems a bit thick. And getting eye exams from the cheapest source possible, and not very often at that, really tears it.

These guys will not hesitate to proclaim Brand X scopes are better than Brand Y, but they omit that they are looking through five year old specs (and cheap ones at that).
Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Optometry and Optics is sometimes overestimated

If you have relatively good sight and fairly regular "poor" sight, it doesn't take a lot of money to select optical glasses. Same for regular hunting optics. It's those seven hundred yards shooting setups that adds to the price. Get a scope that's good to 300 yards and the price comes down.