Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
low power scope >

low power scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

low power scope

Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Spike

Default low power scope

im trying to find a low powered scope for my dads 12 gauge pump for when i go deer hunting(slug and buck shot). ill only need to shoot maybe 80 yards.

me and my dad just got into hunting a couple of years ago and we are still learning so any advice would also help
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Spike

its a winchester model 1200
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always felt a fixed power 4X scope is perfect for slug throwers. They generally are lighter, have fewer internals to break under recoil, very adequate eye relief and are cheaper (for comparable optics) than variable power scopes. There are several good ones...just depends on your budget.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

If your looking at hunting in some thick stuff, consider a 1x scope for the widest field of view. I've never used a slug gun, but understand that they tend to a recoil heavier than the average center fire rifle. They make scopes specifically for shotguns.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

2 scopes that i would reconmand first 1 would be a leupold vari x 1 1x4 shotgun scope price around 200 & the next 1 would be a bushnell banner 2x7 or 1x 4.75 both around 100 dollars both have good clarity
but i think the leupold is much better & 1 power has 75 fov& parralax free@75 yrds best bet would go take a lok at them & compare
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

For out to 150ish yds on deer I wouldnt hesitate to use a holographic red dot, especially the models with selectible Dots/reticles. I have 2, they are on my turkey guns (835UM & 870SM) & I shoot the 3.5" THUNDEROUS mega heavy, cross your eye Nitro loads so I know they'll hold up to any 3" slugs/buckshot loads! Either a simple Weaver style bridge type mount that bolts atop a ribbed barrel or a saddle mount & you are good to go for not alot of chee$e!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Nikon makes its Slughunter in 1.65 x 5 power. Since it's billed as a slug gun scope, it's presumably designed to stand up to the higher recoil (I've had 2 Banner Bushnell's fail on me -- one on a slug gun, the other on a muzzleloader). I own the Nikon Omega version of the scope, and its held up well so far.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A quality scope in the 1.5 - 4 x 30 mm range would be a good choice. A fixed 4X is not a bad way to go either.

My advice is to buy the best quality that you can afford. Clarity, low light performance and durability are all critical. Being able to pick up game quickly and to be able to make out game clearly in very low light is a huge plus. Inexpensive scopes, regardless of "make", will not perform at a high level in either of these areas and should not be expected to stand up year after year to the heavy recoil of a 12 ga. deer load.

In my opinion it is money better spent to start looking in the $250-$500 range if at all possible .... you will come across some value buys in that price range for sure.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I think a circle X retical mabe another idea that would be nice and bushnell has a few in low power and long eye relief as well. Around 80 bucks through opticplanet.com