Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand) >

Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell, Simmons or Redhead (bass pro shop brand)

Just one more opinion ... unless your shots are going to approach 200 yards where the 9X might come in handy, why not go with something like a compact 1.5-6 x 40mm or 32mm? Higher end scopes in this format are good choices for close in shooting and will do fine in very low light. I would think for shots in the 100 yards, this would be a better option in a variable ... or just go with a good 4X fixed.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

m yet...the gun is a TC encore so I have plenty of rise in the comb as well as barrel clearance. I have a Nikon on another gun an
ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I don't understand why you want a 50mm objective lens scope-it will require you to mount it too high for proper shooting form including cheekweld-ESPECIALLY on an slug gun with the usual lower comb height. Look at Nikon prostaff 3x-9x-40mm for 150$ or less. It's a regular rifle scope instead of special slug scope BUT will have plenty of eye relief and will hold up under slug gun recoil. The myth of rifle scopes falling apart under slug gun recoil is just that-a myth, assuming it's a quality scope to begin with. Slug gun scopes do offer more eye relief however.
I know after I got my see thru rings to try I actually like them even though it mounts the scope higher so this may not be a issue to him. The reason I like it is that I don't have to hold my head funny. On my 30-06 the scope just has normal rings and I can put my cheek on the stock to look thru but if I have a hat or anything on I have to turn my head sideways like and it's just not the most comfortable thing to do. The see thru rings don't have this problem and work fine for me so far. Now I'm thinking high rings might be the perfect setup for most people. I just don't like how low the scope is on my rifle so I'd rather have it up higher so it wouldn't be as uncomfortable to look into. I think it's just a personal preference honestly.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Nikon prostaff, they can be bought for less than $150. In my opion there about the best going for the price. I have two monarchs and the prostaff is not to far behind.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vote for a Bushnell 3200 Elite or Leupold VX-!.Quality scopes at reasonable prices.From what I hear Bushnell's support is none to good but if you buy either from BPS,Cabelas,etc they have a no hassle return policy so you should be alright.Just put enough rounds through to be sure it works right before the return deadline hits.Good luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

intresting