Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Cabelas yesterday >

Cabelas yesterday

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Cabelas yesterday

Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabelas yesterday

So I went to Cabelas in St Louis yesterday to go get a Leupold scope and sign up for the Cabelas Visa (12mths no interest) and pick up some Christmas presents.
After about an hour of waiting in line at the guns/optics section I finally picked out the Leupold VX-II 3x9-50 with LRD reticle. It was shown as $429 in the cabinet and I got the only one they had left.

I also picked up the following things.
Quaker Boys 4pack Gobblin Fever turkey calls - $17
Insulated shooting glover for my nephew - $29 on sale from $39
Uncle Mike Sling swivel adapter for my 870 shotgun - $29
Cabelas brand shooting ear-muffs $15

I go get my new Cabelas Visa card that was being approved while I shopped and checked out.
Scope rings up as $399 - She says that some sales weren't posted on the actual scopes in the case.
Grand total for everything comes to $499 with tax
I brought a coupon for $30 off that the website was running - $469
I give the lady my brand new Cabelas Visa to put it all on and get 12months to pay it off, she says that since I'm buying optics I'm eligible for a $85 voucher and she threw in a Leupold optics pen ($9.99 value).
Final bill $385.
I get all that stuff for less than the scope was even on sale for.
I am very glad that I went to Cabelas yesterday.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas yesterday

Sounds like you got an excellent deal. I have mixed emotions on discounts for credit cards (same as they give .10 cents per gallon of gas. I learned years ago,in another marriage,to NEVER have credit cards. I now deal strictly with cash,checks,or debit cards. To me personally,and people who either choose not to have credit cards,or people who don't qualify for them seems slightly discrimnatory. Anyway-CONGRATS on your deal! Wish we had a cabelsa close by but we don't.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Sounds like you got an excellent deal. I have mixed emotions on discounts for credit cards (same as they give .10 cents per gallon of gas. I learned years ago,in another marriage,to NEVER have credit cards. I now deal strictly with cash,checks,or debit cards. To me personally,and people who either choose not to have credit cards,or people who don't qualify for them seems slightly discrimnatory. Anyway-CONGRATS on your deal! Wish we had a cabelsa close by but we don't.
I plan on just taking the total bill divided by 11 (this way there is no chance of them hitting me up for any interest @ 12months) and setting up a monthly bill pay with my online banking for that amount.
Wife and I each have a credit card a piece that we actually use ( have many others from different stores for the same 12month deals IE: Lowes, HomeDepot, BassPro...) but we don't leave a balance on them (pay it off each month if we do use it). Both have reward credits that come in very handy on our vacations for hotels, rental car, etc.....
We have great credit and it mainly comes down to using our head and don't buy anything we can't afford , at least in the allowed interest free period which is only Cabelas right now. We just paid off our bathroom remodel that we put on the Lowes card and paid off in 11months.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to have credit cards-that's the way to use them. Looks like you're doing it the best way. I just don't agree to being able to buy something cheaper than if you use good ol plain cash.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

If you're going to have credit cards-that's the way to use them. Looks like you're doing it the best way. I just don't agree to being able to buy something cheaper than if you use good ol plain cash.
They only give you discounts for using the credit because they are banking on you not getting it paid off in the 12months and getting hit with anywhere from 20-35% interest.