Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle >

Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle

Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle

I am going to buy a new Nikon Monarch scope in a 2.5-10x42 for on top of my 25-06 for deer hunting, and I am looking for opinions on Nikon's BDC Reticle. I think it is about a $10 dollars difference, so price is not a concern, just want to know if I should stick with the Nikoplex reticle or opt for the BDC.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle

I wouldn't get those unless your going to just use the windage ones. The thing about them is there set up for a specific rifle and cartrige load. One might work but not all, unless you spend the time and see where each one hits. 100-150-200 excetra is how there suppost to work but you might zero at 100 and the next down hit zero at 200 and not 150. Just ask yourself how much time you will shoot it to familerise yourself with it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like them. IMO, they obscure too much of the target.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a few scopes like that, but none are the nikon bdc, i prefer crosshairs, to the circles, if they were all crosshairs I'd strongly consider it I think.

Most cartridge will fall into those ballistic drops....some better than others, and therefore you may have to find the best factory load that fits that drop, and not worry about the flattest shooting bullet in your rifle....

Its a great way to shoot long distance, especially if you don't have time to adjust your scope. otherwise your holdover is a guess.....

But if you don't mind those circles, id say go for it, especially if you plan to shoot long range with it at an animal.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the B&C reticle, the Zeiss rapid reticle, the Swarovski TDS reticle but despise the BDC don't understand the circle thing
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

i bought the omega for my ML'er and its ok.. personally I would just get one with just then crosshair. Its nice to have the BDC, but I doubt I even use the circles any since my max shots gonna be 125 yards and I only need 1 crosshair for that
Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just Mounted the Omega BDC to my muzzleloader. If you read the instructions that come with the scopes it makes a lot of sense. The circles actually provide 3 aiming points per circle (top center and bottom of each circle) They actually have a very simple way to calibrate the circles to your particular load. Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

The Omega BDC ballisticsare designed based on using 150 gr load with a 250gr bullet. Most people buy the BDC with the thought that the BDC addresses the hold over required at the extended range. This is very true if you are using the same bullet weight and load that the BDC was designed to. You use a different load and you have created a variable.

Most mzlr sweet spots for accuracyare around 90-120 gr load range. Using 150gr load will get you about 175 -300fps faster than, say a 100gr load. The difference that this FPS makes out at extended ranges will result in hitting lower with the 100 gr load...just not sure how much lower.If you shoot within 100 yards then I would think there would be little to no difference.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

acpossetim - Sorry, didn't catch your last statement on the calibration of the circles to your load prior to posting. Is there a chart they provide that recommends where to zero at what load/bullet?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Burris Full Filed that has a system similar to the Nikon. I had it on a ML, anticipating trouble managing drop out say at 150 or so. But for the game and the areas that I hunt, something like this approach turned out too be too "busy" to be of value. I do not need a BDC to handle out this far, which is about as far as I am willing to try my ML.

Don't get me wrong, that Burris' BDC did work great when I was at the range. I cold manage shot placements to 200 yards no problem. I even tried a few shots at 250. Man what a drop !!!! I was just not comfortable with the sight picture and went back to a "standard' heavy-plex, to which I have become very comfortable using.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of Nikon's BDC Reticle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.