Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss? >

Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I need to defend myself. I will admit that I do not personally own a Kahles scope. But I have shot several, and have very good friends who own several. And we all shoot together, so I do feel qualified to speak of the ones I have used.

It seems like you have had some problems with Swarovski. We have not had any problems with ours. I would be upset if I were you also. It would be a shame to pay that kind of money for something and have a problem with it.

As far as resale is concerned. My point was basically two pronged. From my first post I referred to the appreciation value of the higher end scopes. The second prong is simple. If you think that Kahles has as good of a resale value, and perceived value as the Swarovski, then I believe you are mistaken. I would have purchased the one off of you.

As far as the West German 3X9 Zeiss scope-I do believe it compares to the better scpes. I have had one for years, and it is a dandy IMO.

I will admit I have never used a pipewrench on my Swarovski.

For some reason you think I am knocking Kahles scopes. I assure you I am not. If you read my post carefully I specifically said the difference is splitting hairs.

The way we compare scopes is a bit different than what most people do. We do it out of our hunting cabin, right at dusk. At distances from 75 to 150 yards. We use a chart one of us got from Zeiss several years ago(Have youseen one). It is a series of different thickness lines. My A-line scope performs the best of the scopes I listed, including the Kahles, but as I said they are very close. And as I am sure you know there could easily be scope to scope differences, even between the same companies scope.

My A-line scope does not perform as well as the 30 mm tube large objective Swaro's, and Zeiss scopes, but the post is about the lighter one inch scopes, not the big boy's. And I do agreee with you on the S&B. I only own one S&B that I bought in 1990, and it is a dandy. Tom.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Man, thanks everyone! This is goooooood stuff. I live in Harrisonburg VA (Shenandoah Valley) so the nearest Cabelas is about 3 hours away (Wheeling is 4 hours away). And you're right, for 1k I should take the drive. The misses is into cabelas trips thank GOD!

I picked up some other good name brands I'll look into. Again, lightweight is key. I'm not much for carrying heavy setups. I'm also looking for a lightweight rifle. But I'll start another thread about that. Please keep the conversation coming! You guys rock!

C
Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can’t comment on Kahles and Zeiss scopes but I have the Swarovski 3-10 x 42 and purchased this scope because of size and weight and it has worked very well and one of my best scopes for low light conditions...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kahles scopes are delightful. I had (and sold) a CL only because I didn't want a SF. The KX I looked at recently at Bass Pro was also good. They just didn't have the reticle I was interested in. I also came very close to grabbing the Meopta Meostar 4-12 X 40. It was very good optically and cheaper than the KX (the old AH brought back). However, it's heavier, has shorter eye relief and the #4 reticle I was interested in wasn't to my liking. Conquests are dandy, but they are not a Kahles for sure. Zeiss Diavari's are terrific, but I didn't want a 1st focal plane reticle. S & B is coming out with a 1" , 2nd focal plane reticle, 40mm bell later this year. I was going to look at it, but got impatient to shoot the new toy. As I stated earlier, it's a comprise. There are tons of choices out there. What matters to person A may not to person B. In my situation, the Swaro AV was the best choice. Your choice may be different.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

The way we compare scopes is a bit different than what most people do. We do it out of our hunting cabin, right at dusk. At distances from 75 to 150 yards. We use a chart one of us got from Zeiss several years ago(Have youseen one). It is a series of different thickness lines. My A-line scope performs the best of the scopes I listed, including the Kahles, but as I said they are very close. And as I am sure you know there could easily be scope to scope differences, even between the same companies scope.
the 30mm Swaros are a great scope but the 1" tubes are severely overpriced they are a very nice scope but overpriced , the dealer markup on a Leupold scope is around 50 bucks or so ..I can buy a 3-9x36 A-line NIB from a dealer that dropped Swarovski for 689(His cost) now that might explain their high price. Go over to www.swfa.com and look at the consensus list of scopes and their ranking you'll be surprised. That German zeiss you speak so highly of is one of the worst optical riflescpes I have ever had the pleasure of owning and hunting with. I got it as part of a trade with a Remington KS custom shop 280 rem and it had absolutely awful lowlight performance. I sold it for 375 dollars on EBay and that is the going rate on that scope..about 300 too much in my opinion.I can actually buy another one of those "gems" that is currently mounted on a blaser in 7x57 , I told the guy to take 350 off the price and he can keep the scope. BTW there is a guy over on 24hourcampfire that rates scopes although all he owns is Leupolds and goes by Eeremicus., moral of the story if you don't own it or hunt with one extensively don't rate them. YOu might be surprised
Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will get hammered for this from all the swaro-zeiss-kahales talk but I really like my Nikons.I have no problems hunting with them in low light or bright light.They always seem to preform for me.Two of my hunting buddies have the cash to buy what ever they want (and do). They had swaro's and zeiss,after they looked through my Nikon monarch 3X12X42 they put them on there rifles.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Dan, I have to agree on the Nikon scopes as for brightness. My Nikon Gold does very well for low light conditions but I still would choose my Swarovski for my primary hunting rifle...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cardopski

Man, thanks everyone! This is goooooood stuff. I live in Harrisonburg VA (Shenandoah Valley) so the nearest Cabelas is about 3 hours away (Wheeling is 4 hours away). And you're right, for 1k I should take the drive. The misses is into cabelas trips thank GOD!
If you want to see the largest premium selection of glass I've seen aroundand you're willing to drive go to Lost Creek Shoe shop located in outside Mifflintown, PA. It's about 45 minutes North of Harrisburg. Easy for you to get there too. 81 north untill 322 West. Cabelas and and them don't hold a candle to what this guy has in stock. He is Amish but I imagine I can find a phone number if you interested. Probably easier for you to get there than Cabelas in Wheeling anyhow. When I was there we were more interested in spotting scopes but I imagine he has a great inventory in rifle scopes as well. Not much else to look at there so the wife might not enjoy it too much.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I recentlythought aboutpicking upa Khales Helia KX 3x9x42...very nice scope.I got a deal on Conquest with the Rapid Z600 reticle that i just couldn't resist and seeing i have been very pleased with my other conquests soI had an easy time placing the order for another. To my eyes it a dandy scope and proved itself worthy for canadian hunting conditions. I don't doubt i will buy one of the upper scopes in the future and will be a Euro fo sho!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM

I'll definitely check this out a bit if you give me a phone number. I'll check it online to see if anything else comes up like an address. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Swarovski, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.