Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle >

Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle

Ok, so do the Bullet Drop Comp scopes work.. Thinking about getting one to put on one of my rifles for long range shots at deer..I know my ballistics and don't see how one scope could fit so many calibers.. So what's the scoop are they worth it.. 300 yards is about where I draw the line with my current setups. Thesescopes have rings for up to 500 yards.. .And the bigger debate would be what gun to put them on?? What would you put the scope on????

Ruger MK77 in 22-250
Weatherby VGL in.243
Remington Model 7 in .243
Remington 600 in 6mm
Ruger Compact in 7mm-08
TC Encor in 308
H&R in 444 Marlin

I know the 22-250 and 444 are not really long range deer rifles.. But thought I would throw them in there for fun..
Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle

They do work, but you really need to practice with one on your rifle using the bullets you intend on using to get them dialed in correctly. Also where you have your gun sighted in will affect it also. I have my gun sighted in at a 200 yard zero and the first and second circles are pretty accurate for my 7mm Rem Mag at 300 and 400 yards. I personally haven't ever practiced beyond that so I'm not sure on the other circles.

I would think the 308 would be the most appropriate gun you listed for using one on. It will drop a bit quicker but that's where the BDC shines if you have it dialed in.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on the accuracy of your guns. Which one shoots the tightest groups?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

The model 7 is really sweet.. But If I concentrate the 7mm-08 will put 3 touching each other at 100 yds..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have one on my .338 win mag. I didn't like the idea of guessing how high to hold over thier backs. I followed leupolds instructions. for my caliber. I zeroed it at 200, put the 300 pin on at the 300 yard target. I was 1.5" low. Close enough for me. I didn't kill a elk with it yet, but it should definitly help on those 5 to 6 hundred yard shots.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

So does it come with a caliber guide????
Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot this type of reticle in the Burris, Nikon, and Leupold scopes. IMO the Leupold is the best of the three. The reticles work if you do your homework. The way to match your crosshairs to the reticle is by using the power selector ring. If you shoot your rifle enough you will find a match.

I do not like the Nikon because it does not have anything for windage, and I also do not like the circles. I prefer a crosshair. I also believe that 500 yards is the limitwith these scopes. Anything past 500 yards and the bullet drops are just too great, and different.

I have a Leupold 6.5X20 with the VH Reticle on my Rock River AR in 223Wylde chamber. Mine works great at 16X out to 400 yards. Each crosshair is within 2 inches of zero at 200, 300,and 400 yards. I have not shot it at 500 yards. I use thisrifle for ground hog's and I think 400 yards is too far for the 223(anything past 250 yards I deliver a double tap). Tom.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yes there is a caliber guide. By which caliber you have determines if you use the large or small triangle on your scope and if you zero 2 or 3 hundred yds. The leupold web site I think has this information under b&c reticle. I don't think its accurate enough that if you zero at 200 your going to drill the bullseye at 450 but it should get you to within an inch or to. Which is fine for me on a elk sized creature. Heck my trigger squeeze would throw me offmore than that at 500. Like I said I didn' kill one with it yet, But it has to be better than , holding the cross hair level with the top of the horns and pulling the trigger.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

BDC scopes do work if your use them properly. You could put them on every gun your own if you want. However, the performance of the bullet will vary with each caliber; that is with your .308 you can get solid data out to say 800 meters depending on your ammunition andyour gun. On your .243 I would not stretch farther then maybe 400-500 meters. Again, depending on the quality of your loads. You NEED to get d.o.p.e (data on previous enguagement) for your rilfle system. For example, say your TC .308 is zeroed at 200 meters. You move to 300 meters and shoot a 3 round group....log that you held and the center of the 300 meter circle or whereever to get exactly where you wanted your group to be (log tht in)...at 350 meters...your held at the bottom half of the 300 meter circle...you can really split hairs with this. You HAVE to know what your gun and ammo will do at each meter line. With that said you have to use the exact same ammo. For the money you can buy scopes where you acutally dial in the exact yard line...that is...At 535 meters I will set my scope and 5+1...To be honest...get out there and shoot your gun with the scope you want at each yard line to get your data. I would put your scope on the .308 and shoot it.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

FYI...good reading...BDC reticles give a better point of reference when holding at different yards lines...

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.co...teofangle.html

Quick Reply: Long Range Rifle and BDC Reticle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.