Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Just bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam for my TC Prohunter >

Just bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam for my TC Prohunter

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Just bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam for my TC Prohunter

Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Just bought a Leupold Ultimate Slam for my TC Prohunter

I recently bought a T/C Prohunter in Muzzleloader configuration and a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope.

I was at the range today and got it hitting paper at 50yrds then moved up to 100yrds to zero in the bullseye. I also started second guessing myself at what elevation and windage adjustments needed to be done after much frustration because no adjustment seemed to work.

I went back to 50yrds and seem to shoot groups 6" to the left and 5 inches down.

To correct this I have elevation marking on the scope U for up in one direction and windage marking on the scope R for right in the other direction.

Looking at the picture above. Do I adjust the elevation in the up direction to bring my hits up or do I adjust down to bring my elevation crosshair down to meet the hits? The same with the windage, do I adjust the windage to the right or do I adjust left to bring my windage crosshair left to meet the hits?

I unfortunately also realized that the increments are 1/4 MOA at 100yrds. So at 50yrds it should of been doubled. Maybe that is what was the root of the problem as well. But still wouldn't account for the problems I had a 100yrds.

But before I head out to the range again I'd like to put my second guessing to rest as which way should I go adjusting my scope to bring my hits up 5" and to the right 6" at 50yrds.

Oh I'd like to add that I was using Hornady's SST sabots with 3 777 pyrodex. And varied cleanings from each shot to up to 3 shots to see if there was a difference. I was shooting decent groups just couldn't zero it in.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks - George
Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM

I guess since I am having problems with fine adjustment here are the two options I am faced with depending if I have to chase the Target or chase the scope.

Chase the Target at 50yrds
1) UP adjustment 40 clicks and RIGHT adjustment 48 clicks

Chase the Scope at 50yrds
2) Adjust down 40 clicks and Adjust Left 48 clicks to bring the cross hairs to the hits as shown in the diagram.

1/4 MOA equals one 1inch at 100yrds would 4 clicks but double because we are at 50yrds.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you bore sight after mounting? Check to be sure mounting is correct and screws are torqued correctly. I'd start out at 25 yards and only move one direction (up or to the right) at one time. Once you are on at 25 yards, then move back to 100 yards. You may have to try a different mounting system if you run out of scope adjustment or some shimming may be required. It's best not to run scope adjustments all the way out to their max.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 AM

Boresighting and making sure the scope is properly mounted is the first step, you have to use scope mounts as low and secure as possible, this is the weakest part of any shooting system. Most people fasten a scope with any scope mount they can find and blame the scope or gun for poor shots.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

I have my new ML ready to go to the range monday Knights LRH ( scope I got was the Toby Bridges Hi-lux)

before I even go to the range with ANY gun I laser bore sight a gun in my house. Using my gun clamp I level EVERYTHING. Then use a mini gun level and double check. I'm usally 1-2" away and never close to maxed out in any direction on the scope. I find it saves alot of cleaning for a ML, ammo and wasted time checking.

IMO I would just boresight then go. You'll be close for fine tuning at 100 yards alot quicker and save some time. Sounds like your going to be maxing out on the scope and you would almost need to shim it with some offsite inserts. I needed to use a pair once and I think it gains close to 5" at 100 yards.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off upon your intial shots at 50 yards was the grouping the same? B/C to me it sounds like you shot at 50 moved to 100 to fine tune. Then got fluster/confused/etc and moved back to 50 for which you shot the group you have pictured. I certainly wouldn't move to 100 yards if my group was 5" low and 6" right, nor would I consider this to be fine tuning..lol. If the above sounds familar you need to move the scope 40 up and 48 Right. Also a way to check that your not against the wall in adjustments, is go up x clicks then simply back down to the intend mark (Ie: 4 clicks up and then 4 clicks down).

If you didn't touch the adjustments and had it boresighted to start with, you may be dealing with improper mounting like front and rear bases inverted. I've seen leupold bases improperly put on at the proshop and supposedly boresighted as well. The scope should look parrellel with the barrell, if not then something ain't right with the mounting. Like mentioned you may require shims or differrent mounts.

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Spike

Any luck yet on this?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

intresting