Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Scope power... >

Scope power...

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Scope power...

Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scope power...

Hey all,
I'm getting my first high power this year from my wife for christmas. I'm getting a savage 116fhss .30-06. I'mtrying to decide on a scope to compliment it. I plan on using it for alot, from killing paper at the range, whitetail in the open plains of texas, and elk in the oregan mountains. I'm currently looking at a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. I'm wanting to stay less than $350 for a good scope. I don't know much about Nikon scopes or if the adjustable range is a good match with the .30-06 and what I intend to be using it for. My .22 came with a decent 3x9x40 on it and seem hard pressed to use the same power on a high power... any and all info is appreciated.

Ryan
Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 PM

Default RE: Scope power...

Right now, value to $ wise, Nikon is one of the best things going. I have another Nikon on the way as we speak. That will make 4 of them. This one is the 4.5 x 14 x 40 silver, side focus. I also have 2 - 3x 9 x 40 's and a 4 x 12 x 50.That scopes power range is really a good choice if you need to really see the animal up close for a shoot / no shoot decision, like I have to make here in Arkansas, due to antler restrictions. Going to a 40 mm bell instead of a 50 mm bell, will only cost you about one power setting in lower light situations.

I am mounting my new Nikon on a new Ruger M77 Compact. I will be using it to hunt in woods and clearcuts. I have scopes up to 16 X and I think the 14 X will be a good choice for my hunting situations. I do have other Brands of scopes , but I like the Nikons the best so far. My next purchase will either be a Burris Fullfield II, or a Weaver Grandslam.

Other scopes to look at if you are looking for any suggestions would be a Burris, or a Bushnell 3200 or 4200. The 3200 , like the Nikon Buckmasters, is multicoated, but not fully multicoated. The 4200 is fully multicoated, as is the Nikon Monarch, the Burris Fullfield II, and the Weaver Grand Slam.

Here is a link to the Burris, and you can then navigate the site to look at other scopes I have mentioned if you like. I would look at the Monarch's while you are there. If you can get the price right, they are super scopes.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4185

This site has some of the best overall prices on the net. I just paid 271.00 for the Nikon I ordered, in silver and with shipping. But I was in a hurry and ordered it , even though I could have beat that price on ebay. On ebay, the same scope sold today for 266 including shipping.

Also , if you are an ebayer, there are some great deals on Nikons and Burris Fullfield II scopes right now. I am watching about 15 - 20 auctions of those brands right now, as I need 2 more scopes. A New Burris F.F.II 4.5x14x42 sold today for 260.00.

Good luck and God bless

Michael
Old 12-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bushnell 4200 Elite 3x9x40 for about $265 is probably the best in your price range.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Bushnell 4200 Elite 3x9x40 for about $265 is probably the best in your price range.
Ditto, I dont think you can argue a better deal then that scope or finding a Monarch 3x9-40 for 299. I think the rainguard gives the 4200 an edge but theres nothing bad about the Monarch scopes.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM

I firmly believe that power range is part preference and part the terrain/length of expected shots.
I know plenty of folks that love the 4x12 and larger, and others that use 3x9 or even fixed 4x. Preference is important.
I also think that if you are not going to have/expect any shots over 200 yards you likely can get by with a 3x9 or even a 2x7.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to be able to do eventually drop a deer at 300 yards without hesitation or second guessing of my ability. My uncle has dropped a deer at 450 yards on his property. Not that I will be trying for a shot that long, the land does generate some long range shots. He is a swat sniper and practices almost daily on a 300yrd range in his backyard. I too will be shooting at and beyond 300 yards with him (just not at deer for me) and want to ensure I have a rig enough to join in the fun.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was expecting shots that far Id go with a ?x12 or ?x14 power scope.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rynigner

My uncle has dropped a deer at 450 yards on his property. He is a swat sniper and practices almost daily on a 300yrd range in his backyard.
I would check with your uncle if he is who you say he is. He would have all the experience on this matter...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM

If you are shooting a lot of paper, go with a higher zoom(14-16)

keep in mind though that a high zoom causes you to "see" yourself shake and has had the effect of causing more shaking due to nerves...

I used to use(still do on occasion) 2 fixed power scopes
a4x and a 15x K Weaver
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally feel the 3-10 range is suited for big game hunting out to 500 yards, which is as far as I would shoot at an animal. Though most of my shots are 300 or under, I have taken some over the years that were past 300. This year in fact I took my mulie buck LRF @ 407 yards at 10x with a solid hold I had no problems putting the bullet through the lungs and dropping the buck. I have a few higher mag scopes but like mentioned the higher the power the more noticable the shake and also the smaller the field of view. I don't like hunting for the target in the scope so therefor I tend to run lower and power up when needed while on target.

Shooting paper the higher mag is nice no doubt about that.

As mentioned its personal preference on what is best to you.Like trailer I'd talk to your uncle, plus ask to tryout his scope/rigs to see what you like or dislike before you purchase.

Good Luck