Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Advice on PA turkey hunting >

Advice on PA turkey hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Advice on PA turkey hunting

Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Advice on PA turkey hunting

I've never turkey hunted before, been deer hunting for many years. This year is going to be my first year to give it a whirl. Any advice on locating turkey, chokes, shot size, etc.? I have a Mossberg 500 that I'll be using. Do they normally start gobbling once the weather warms a bit? What is the best habitat for them?

Any advice would be greatful.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice on PA turkey hunting

Joe, you may want to try the turkey forum on here. They have tons of advice for beginners. There are tons of chokes you could get for turkey such as the HS Strutt undertaker. You also need to pattern your shotgun to find the best load for your particular setup. As far as habitat, you can find them in numerous counties and areas. The best is to scout before the season to try and locate them. Crow calls and owl calls before they come out of roost often work good. Good Luck this year.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:09 PM

IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHEAST,I CAN GIVE YOU SOME INSIGHT ON SOME GREAT BIRD HUNTIN WITH OUT THE TRAVEL..
Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do plenty of preseason scouting. Use a crow call just before sunset. Quite often they will respond to your call just before bedding down. Locate this spot before the season starts and find a quite approach for the opening day.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get out early and often. My best advice is that you get out pre-season and do some simulated hunts. Try to get a bird in range. That will give you a learn-on-the-fly experience and you'll quickly learn how and where the birds are talking.

Turkeys, unlike deer, are creatures of habit and routine. They often roost in the same trees every night, frequent the same strutting areas, and you can intercept one by getting a leg up on his routine. Just don't get busted, or you will change his pattern and make them wary of your presence.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM

I KNOW WERE A FLOCK OF 13 ROOST EVERY NIGHT
Old 04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Flock of 13 about to be a flock of 12.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

if doing some simulated hunts means calling before the season.. sorry quiksilver i dont agree w/ that i think that is a very bad idea. they are hard enough to hunt to start, once they start getting called too its harder.. just something to think about
ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Get out early and often. My best advice is that you get out pre-season and do some simulated hunts. Try to get a bird in range. That will give you a learn-on-the-fly experience and you'll quickly learn how and where the birds are talking.

Turkeys, unlike deer, are creatures of habit and routine. They often roost in the same trees every night, frequent the same strutting areas, and you can intercept one by getting a leg up on his routine. Just don't get busted, or you will change his pattern and make them wary of your presence.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 PM

You know it. i notice there pattern in deer season they have kept it close , in resent weeks