Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maine moose permits >

Maine moose permits

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine moose permits

Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Maine moose permits

Remember the moose permit application has to be in before April 1.

I'd hate to see anyone disappointed because they forgot to send it when for only $23 you can be even more disappointed because your name wasn't drawn..........AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Maine moose permits

The story of my life. I'm a shoe in this year with all my accumilated points though.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

How much does a guided 5 day hunt run for Moose?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Charlie P,
$1500-$2500 you don't really need a guide.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I'm up to 5 bonus points now, and I bought another 10 - I'll still get skunked, I bet.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Charlie...Like maineguide said, it's around 1500-2000. i however think it is important to have a guide if you get a bull permit. A cow hunt you could do yourself, but if your lucky enough to pull a bull tag, better to hook up with a guide that knows where the big boys hang.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

If you ever draw a tag, make it a real hunt by getting away from all the knuckleheads running up and down the roads in multi-vehicle convoys. It's can be a real circus as most want to shoot a moose within spitting distance of the road or within easy driving distance for a vehicle. I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth if a monster bull was 50 yds from the road stuffing his face with broccoli....but I would much prefer to make it a true hunting experience while getting away from the masses...even if that means packing the meat out the old fashioned way. Just my two cents.

And in my opinion, if you are a reasonably good hunter, willing to wear out some boot leather, and have an empty coffee can and string to fashion a moose call out of...it's not too tough to find a decent bull if you have some time to invest. I'd never hire an outfitter. Again....just my two cents.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:00 PM

And how many decent bulls have you found drool? And shooting them from anywhere but a road is foolish. Who the hell wants to lug a damn moose? Been there, done that, hope I never have to do it again.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

MMH....you make this so fun.

As I stated, I never drew a tag, so I never had to "find" a decent bull. But I never seemed to have trouble running into moose while I was bear, bird, or deer hunting. Let's face it...moose aren't hard to find in Maine at the right times (at least where I was hunting they weren't). And hunting during the rut virtually assures you that you will see bulls. While deer hunting one day, I walked up on seven moose....five of which were bulls, two of which were having a pretty good shoving match, one of which parks his 55 inch sheds in my den. I could have taken my pick. Am I that great of a hunter? Well...maybe. Does it take a great hunter to bag a decent bull in Maine? Absolutely not.

As I said...it was just my two cents....you don't have to agree (I'd expect nothing less), but I'd prefer to get away from the slobs running the roads and keeping tabs via CB radios and put a little work into my hunt...IF IT WERE ME! If someone wants to sit in a vehicle over looking a remote field, that's fine.....but when idiots are flying up and down county roads donned in blaze orange...it just doesn't set well with me.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I packed my moose out I thought it was fun. Dont get me wrong its alot of work but it makes the hunt even more memorable. I agree I would not want to hunt them from a vehicle either. That to me takes away from the hunt.

Quick Reply: Maine moose permits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.