Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Private property in NJ >

Private property in NJ

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Private property in NJ

Old 01-04-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Private property in NJ

I'm planning on searching for some private land to hunt for next year. Have any of you guys found it really hard to find land to hunt. I'm not afraid of being rejected, I know it will happen and probably a lot. Hopefully persistance will pay off and I'll find a spot. Some people say its easy for them to get permission and others say impossible. Do you guys have any advice for me on how to ask for permission?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Private property in NJ

WELL IT'S NOT EASY, BUT NOT IMPOSSIABLE!! I HAD OVER 500 ACRES IN SPARTA, SUSSEX CO. LOSS IT TO BUILDERS FOR NEW HOMES. FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS I'VE BEEN HUNTING PUBLIC LAND WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. BUT ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOME LAND TO LEASE. HOPE YOU HAVE FRIENDS WANTING TO JOIN, I DO BUT WHEN IT'S TIME FOR THE MONEY, THEY SAY NO, EXCEPT FOR ABOUT 3 OF THEM, THERE ALWAYS WILLING AND ABLE.

WHAT AREA OF NEW JERSEY ARE YOU LOOKING? THE LAND YOU LOOKING FOR, FOR DEER ONLY, OR SMALL GAME ALSO?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:52 PM

The most succesful way I have found is to start knocking on doors. I have nailed 2 of my private spots that way. First I intruduce myself, where Im from, if there is anyone hunting the land. Be prepared with a permission slip for insurance purposes. Tell them that its so if you get hurt on the property your huinting at your own risk. If the answer is no be sure to thank them for they're time and leave them your name and number incase they change their mind. Just be respectable and offer to help with any odd jobs around the land. Also offer to be the caretaker of the land. The worst they can say is no. A slim price to pay for a potentiol hot spot. Thats the way alot of my bud's get their pieces also. As soon as the season is over I will be looking for a place in zone 25 to muzzleload hunt next year. I have 2 places now in 25 but its bow only which isnt a bad thing beings there is no gun pressure what so ever. Still seeing deer like its the first day of the season. Good luck in whatever you decide to do if you decide to go knocking on doors be polite and you'll be happy with the outcome. Im located in south jersey if your looking for land around here I can head you in the right direction.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd be willing to share a lease with others in S. Jersey if members are needed [:-].
Old 01-04-2004, 05:14 PM

It aint easy.
A guy posted the piece(186acres conected to 700 acres) across from me last year,so I went and asked if I could hunt it.I got a big fat No...stay off the property.Beutiful piece of property...ceder swamps,oaks,thicket,piness.30' wide creek runs right through the middle.
Well the ******* said no and I said thank's anyway and went on my way and set-up on the connecting 700.Afew weeks later I meet this guy walking around over there and start to bull****ting with him about how the guy who owns the property is an ass.He ask if thats the same guy who posted it?I say yes and he says why the hell would someone post MY property?Well I am now the caretaker of the property and the ONLY one allowed to hunt it.
The guy who posted it even put his name and addy on it
If you see a piece of property you like ,even if its posted,go to the tax office and get the name and contact the owner that way