Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maine moose permits >

Maine moose permits

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine moose permits

Old 12-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Maine moose permits

I'll be applying for my nonresident Maine moose permit again for the thrid year in a row. Anybody have the scoop on the odds of drawing one for a nonresident. Do I have a chance or am I just wasting my time?
Old 12-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maine moose permits

The latter part of your statement would probably be most accurate, but it's just like Powerball, you'll never win if you don't apply!

I saw the odds of being drawn on the Maine web page, you've got about a good a chance of winning a million bucks......3 years applying is nothing, honest. The new bonus point system they initiated two years ago is nothing more than a way for them to drum up more money. If you understand the bonus point system it's easy to see the system they use nullify's having a bonus point. When you can "purchase" up to 6 bonus points per year per person, that pretty much takes the odds out of it doesn't it? The western states do it properly, if you don't get drawn then the following year you carry one bonus point, if you don't get drawn the second year then you carry two bonus points, etc, etc, and your chances incrementally increase each year with each bonus point. The way Maine does it is bogus.

Put it this way, I know a family who has been living in Maine for 15 years, the 3 brothers, residents, have been applying for that long, think they would have drawn a tag in 15 years...........nope not a one............the non-resident allocation is even far less.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Your best bet is to apply in as many New England states as possible, every year..........or just go to New Foundland and get your moose.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:47 PM

Phil J. are the odds better in vermont and New hampshire I have applied there before but did not draw.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:05 PM

Took me 16 years as a Maine resident to get drawn.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

nyflyer: From my limited knowledge, No I don't think your odds are any better in those two states, the difference is in Vermont and NH they don't mess with preference points, everybody only has one chance, as basic a lottery as it gets.

Honeslty if you want to increase your chances, you should apply in all 3 states every year, not sure what the application fees are for each state is but if it's like Maine then the most it would cost you would be $10-15 per application, that would be worth it to try that approach for a few seasons, but still you could go years without getting drawn.

I have a few big game animals that I have in mind that I would like to hunt over the future years, and when I get to the itching (and money saved up) to hunt a moose, I will most likely go to New Foundland or Alaska, you might want to consider that option if you really want to shoot a moose......just an idea. Look at Portage, he went 16 YEARS before getting drawn as a resident..............your odds as a non-resident are much less.

Good luck
Old 12-23-2003, 02:50 PM

You have the same chance Frosty the Snowman has of becoming overlord of Hell.

Maine is tough, but the $25 isn't to bad. I think NH is $10 or it was last year. You increase your odds a tiny bit if you'll accept an antlerless tag. Also, if you list ALL zones, not just the best ones you can improve your odds .. very very very slightly. In all of NH or Maine you can find big bulls, they are just much easier to find up in the north country paper lands. Down where I hunt in Southern NH there is a very healthy moose population that is growing yearly. If you wait 2 to 3 more years you can start applying to the Mass lottery which they'll be opening soon.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:57 PM

it only took me 2 years to draw a Maine resident permit in 2002. It is getting even harder and harder to draw a tag,and when u do every year it gets harder and harder to find a moose. they used to say you could see moose all day every day and pick the one you want, like shooting a cow out of a pasture. but when i went in 2002 the only moose we saw were at night, and then a small bull that we shot the last 10 min. of our hunt.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well you can't get drawn if you don't apply. I was drawn as a non resident in 2001 after applying for 12 years prior. It is better odds to draw as a non resident then as a resident. Put in and if you get drawn it is well worth it. I am able to apply again this year. Once drawn you have to wait 2 years before applying again. talk about a long 2 years.