Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Antlerless deer numbers, how do the look... >

PA Antlerless deer numbers, how do the look...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Antlerless deer numbers, how do the look...

Old 12-15-2003, 07:51 PM

Default PA Antlerless deer numbers, how do the look...

in your area?

My best friend and I went out spotting tonight to see what the deer herd was like after the season was over and, I was shocked. It is cold and we have all this snow, so, it looked ideal for deer. After about 45 minutes of spotting, we saw a WHOOPING........

19 deer, and guess what, all were doe[X(]

Normally, we would have seen in the 60-80 deer range, but, now, we are down to unde 1/3 of the normal numbers.

This year was a doozy around here and the number of does dropped BIGTIME! I guess it is good for the herd and all, but, I will admit, it kinda sucks when you go out in the woods, chasing after a buck, and you just hope that you see a single doe.

Whats it like around your neck of the woods?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA Antlerless deer numbers, how do the look...

Same here Jason. I saw a significantly lower amount of deer this season, both bucks and does. In fact, if we ignore what I saw the last day of rifle then I can honestly say that this was the season in which I saw the least amount of deer period.

When are we going to reach that quota of Alt's again?

Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

after archery season i didnt see a buck until the last day , i saw 36 deer all day and 2 were buck , one i let pass , he had a very large one side , he was a half rack , but he looked so impressive , i can only wait to see what he looks like next year with the other side. and the other didnt give a shot i would like due to yet another new housing plan. Pa really needs too look at what they r doing here. Give us sunday hunting , more doe tags, and change weapon laws. My county i could live with slug only , but perserve the true deer woods of the north for rifle, and give us a normal after christmas hunt and lets get some inlines into PA.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe around the citys there are too many deer but come to central PA and many other areas and hunt a few days and everyone may be surprised at how few deer there actually are.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:52 PM

i know all i saw this year has been does ,including the one that hit my truck as i went down route 40 (dumb ass deer), a buddy of mine has seen a few bucks most of them not legal shooters ,oh well maybe next year , i still have a buck tag for late season archery! maybe i'll get lucky!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

We are polluted with doe in Bradord County!!!! We took 10 out of our camp and didnt dent the population.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:06 PM

Personally, I think that the PGC needs to go even more in depth with the WMU's. My area is being wiped out of doe. The increase in doe tags around here means that a good bit more doe are being killed, but, the AR's aren't working as well as the PGC wants because there aren't tons of small bucks around here. So, for the large number of doe being killed, a small number of bucks are being saved.

The WMU's seemed to have just been thrown together in an attempt to make the PGC look better. How in the world does a road seperate the difference in deer populations and the type of the land? About 2 miles from my house is a county line, 4 points per side AR's and less doe tags, while, my area, which has the same land type and population, has 3 pts per side and more doe tags. Where is the reasoning? I would be willing to have less WMU's as long as they were well thought out and designed around the deer populations/land/and the amount of deer that the land can sustaion.

The area I hunt use to have alot of deer, alot more than the PGC said was "healthy", but, my area is PACKED with food.... corn/alfalfa/clover/peas/buckwheat/apples/acorns/chestnuts/berries/and other browse. At one time, I would say that the average population was around 60 deer per square mile, but, guess what, we had NO browse lines. Now, the herd is getting very low, and yes, the deer have more food, but, there is extra food because there was already enough food.

Personally, I would like to see the state go to a 4 points per side rule, and yes, that means EVERYWHERE. Secondly, I would like to see the doe tags cut down. I am not saying that we go back to where we were, but, maybe in between where we were and where we are. Also, I would like to see the PGC do even more to help feed the deer in our state. Foodplots and orchards should be planted in more of an abundance on the game lands. I would also like to see the PGC give more options to private property owners on helping them to feed the deer herd. Perhaps have programs set-up with private land owners where they open up there property to all hunters, but, in return, help manage the deer herd, help plant food plots, maybe help monitaraly.

Another thing is that the PGC needs to get a better way of getting an accurate account of the harvest reports. Maybe give them an incentive for sending the report cards in. Right now, people don't care. They just view as one more thing that they "should do" but don't "have to do" because they know that they won't get in trouble. As of now, they aren't even closely accurate with their numbers.

And finally, I want to see the PGC push even more that button bucks shouldn't be shot, maybe even ban it. No matter what I tell the guys that hunt my area, they just can't seem to listen to this. This year there was 4 button bucks killed off my property, last year, there were 3. So, that is 7 bucks in two years that should be alive now, but, they aren't. Lets face it, it isn't very hard to tell the difference between a button buck and a doe. First, the buttons on the head are a dead giveaway. Secondly, the hair color on the head is different on button bucks and it is usually more ruffed up. Also, the body preportions are different, button bucks have much larger hind quarters. Also, the face of a button buck is much more stocky than that of a doe.

Something needs to be done....... we are starting on the right path, but, more care is needed so we don't "blow" everything.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Host of Hosts

I agree with those of you who say we are getting too carried away with the doe kills. I think we need to go in the middle. Instead of three days like a few years ago make it a week concurrent with the first week of buck.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:42 PM

1 week gun season. Either sex, Saturday to Saturday. Someone else mentioned it earlier. Would be a great idea.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:27 PM

Some of my thoughts...
1) Is it possible that there are less hunters? If there are less hunters then the deer wouldn't be pushed as much. I've noticed this on my property. The first year I hunted there were hunters everywhere. The deer were running everywhere. This year I only noticed two on our hill plus the trespassers I caught. The deer weren't moving. Even down in Allegheny Co. where I hunted there was only one other guy hunting there.
2) When I picked up my meat at the processors I asked if the numbers were down and they said yes - for this year and last year. On all deer not just does.
3) Sunday hunting should be allowed. It isn't fair for those working to only get one day to hunt unless they take off sick or use vacation days.
4) AR's? I have mixed feelings. I have seen more bucks this year (during archery) with many of them being shootable. But did I see more because less were being shot altogether? I have never gotten a buck so I feel like I might have a long time waiting to get one. When I see one, most of the time he is in sight I am trying to figure out whether he has enough points and then my chance to shoot is gone. I'd like to shoot one, I'm not looking for a trophy!
5) I know a few hunters who prefer to shoot the buttons because of the tender meat. No matter what you tell them they are going to do what they want for food on the table.
6) Overall, I think that the deer numbers are different for different areas - even small areas. I don't think you can go by counties or WMU's. I think you can find differences in one square mile compared to its neighbor.
7) As for the deer in my area... They are still there. I drive around a lot and see them everywhere. The mature does seemed to disappear when the hunting season started. To me they seem smarter. In the woods they spot me instantly while bucks seem to just go about their business. The yearlings are not so wise. It was easy to get close to them as long as there wasn't a mature doe around. But they are still there. Let's see if they are still there for late season archery!

Sorry to ramble.....