Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
GR Thompson Hunting Help >

GR Thompson Hunting Help

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GR Thompson Hunting Help

Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Spike

Default GR Thompson Hunting Help

Hello everyone! I just lost my private hunting land this year and am looking at hunting Thompson WMA. I've walked the lake and surrounding area a few years ago. Saw some bear and slight deer sign, but nothing super. Does anyone have any hot spots or good advice? I know we all hold our spots to ourselves but I'd really appreciate the extra help. I plan on taking a good friend of mine out for his first time in VA. All the help is greatly appreciated!! I bow, muzzleload and rifle hunt by the way.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to say it is bad form to ask people if they know of a hot spot to hunt deer because you lost your spot and then add you are planning to take a friend along. This is why many people do not give information to people they don't know about a good place to hunt. Two people tell two more, then they tell four more and in a short period of time the place is over loaded. Not that I don't help people but I have to know them well enough to trust them.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Spike

I apologize if I came off as rude or demanding in any way. For the record I have given out many spots in my time and actually enjoy helping New to the area or new hunters get acclimated to this hobby/ passion. Again I apologize if I came off in a manor in which I hadn't planned on. I had a land lease prior to this year and wouldn't mind paying for someone's time if they require it. Take care and thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

No I do not think your intention was to be rude, I have just had too many places ruined by loose lips. No apology necessary, I am simply saying why you may not get much information and why people are leary of giving info out on the internet, I suspect we have all been burned a time or two. I hope you find a good place to hunt.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well time to pick a new area and start asking land owners. Be patient and be polite. I start with a letter writing campaign explaining who I am and what I will do.
From that I have gotten some positive results. I do mention I am a hunter ed instructor, who will be hunting with me as well as my vehicle information.
And even though I might get an answer of No or no reply at all it doesn't stop me from asking in person. It has worked for me for turkey hunting and does work for deer hunting but not as well. More deer hunters out there.
But I do get places to hunt. I do get established and with positive land owner support I do get referrals.

Or contact your DNR asking about public lands. Goods spots in those two if you spend the time.

JW