Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
New Jersey Bears >

New Jersey Bears

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New Jersey Bears

Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Jersey Bears

Checked my camera
Attached Thumbnails New Jersey Bears-mfdc0453.jpg   New Jersey Bears-mfdc0559.jpg   New Jersey Bears-mfdc0562.jpg   New Jersey Bears-mfdc0563.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking sow!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
Checked my camera
Nice Pictures!!! lot of Bears up that Gap way. Love that area.

Hatchet Jack
Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pic;'s thanks for posting,
BUT those are last yr's cubs most likely, one's this yr this time of yr would be a LOT smaller, and NOT that big!

I have two females here with cubs this yr
one with 3 and one with 2, and both litters are about a 1/3 the size of these.
I also have a TON of bear experience as well, been working off and on with them for the past 25+ yrs, from trapping, tagging and relocating them and handling them, plus I get a LOT here at my place(22 different one's last yr) so, I am pretty good with bears and sizes!
Still super cool to see bears in your pic's
but a just a litte info on them cubs for you!
here are some of this yrs, sorry not many pic's, been lacking on getting cam's going and or taking them when there here!

this is a 3.5 yr old or so female with her first litter, one is a runt to the other, bigger one is a male, smaller one is a female , she is right now about 180 lbs or so, and she was at about 275 before she denned up last winter,

Last spring she was hit by a car and had a compound fracture on her right rear foot/ankle,
wasn't sure she was going to ever get full use of things, but over the winter it seemed to heal up nicely, she can now AGAIN< climb tree's something she couldn;t do at all last yr,

I am lucky I get to see many bears here grow from small to adults, oldest one I have here has been dropping by for 16 yrs now,
loves my clover food plots and fruit tree's, he's about 600 lbs, last time I seen him!
Attached Thumbnails New Jersey Bears-cubs-2017-010.jpg   New Jersey Bears-cubs-2017-012.jpg  
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, since black bears give birth in January and only weigh 8 to 10 oz, this years cubs sure wouldn't be as big as the cubs in those pictures taken in February. This years cubs won't be out of the den till they are three months old or so. They do grow fast though, I have seen cubs that made 100 lbs by bear season.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-16-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah a REALY good food source and some cubs can get to about a 100 lbs by there first Fall, but most tend to be in the 60-70 lb range from my experience

the pic's I posted were taken yesterday too by the way, VERY tiny cubs right now,
had two killed about a mile from me, last week,
State trapped a mother with 3 cubs, but ONLY got 1 cub and STILL took her, and the poor cubs left on there own didn;t last very long, wandered out in road and got run over,
they were SUPER small, maybe the size of a foot ball or less??

But it happens?
Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

few more NJ bears from this week
Attached Thumbnails New Jersey Bears-post-55-0-30929600-1495308009.jpeg   New Jersey Bears-post-55-0-89168300-1495308074.jpeg