Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Bear Archery ??? >

Bear Archery ???

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bear Archery ???

Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Archery ???

So Bear Archery is Oct,30th till Nov,4th during Deer Archery. So if I have some Deer pee or some kind of Rut gel out for Deer. It just so happens to lure in a Bear to your stand. Is this considered baiting Bear????

HJ
Old 04-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The law is clear that you can not use scents or lures if you are hunting bear. If I were hunting bear, I would not put out any scent or lure regardless of what it is for, bears will come to any number of smells. It is your call but I would decide if I was hunting bear or deer and act accordingly.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The law is clear that you can not use scents or lures if you are hunting bear. If I were hunting bear, I would not put out any scent or lure regardless of what it is for, bears will come to any number of smells. It is your call but I would decide if I was hunting bear or deer and act accordingly.
So what was the reason they moved it to Deer Archery season? I believe the main reason was if your Deer hunting and a Bear comes by you can shoot it. If they leave it up to the Hunter to police themselves they are asking for trouble. Something should be put in the Digest. Maybe ban Deer Scent for that week????
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
So Bear Archery is Oct,30th till Nov,4th during Deer Archery. So if I have some Deer pee or some kind of Rut gel out for Deer. It just so happens to lure in a Bear to your stand. Is this considered baiting Bear????

HJ
I doubt a bear will come to deer pee but if you are really hunting deer I would think your ok
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

They moved it into deer archery in areas where bear need to be taken. You can hunt deer and bear at the same time without using any kind of scent and or lure. It is your call, but If an officer checks you and smell or sees a scent wick or man made scrape smelling of urine or whatever I am sure you will have some splaining to do. A bear will investigate any number of smells in their search for food. You are free to use your best judgement. If I were you I would call the PGC headquarters in Hbg and ask one of the officers in the Bureau of wildlife protection and be guided by that since I am retired an no longer receive the enforcement bulletins.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also HIGHLY suggest IF you do call, you MAKE them send you something in writing says its OK< if they do so

as what ONE person says can very easily be different from another's!
and your word against there's??
not good odds from my experiences!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

No need to do all that, just asked the name of the person you spoke to and write it down along with the date and time. Having worked in that Bureau, everyone is on the same page.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
They moved it into deer archery in areas where bear need to be taken. You can hunt deer and bear at the same time without using any kind of scent and or lure. It is your call, but If an officer checks you and smell or sees a scent wick or man made scrape smelling of urine or whatever I am sure you will have some splaining to do. A bear will investigate any number of smells in their search for food. You are free to use your best judgement. If I were you I would call the PGC headquarters in Hbg and ask one of the officers in the Bureau of wildlife protection and be guided by that since I am retired an no longer receive the enforcement bulletins.
They moved it to Deer Archery for the whole state. So do you really think it will be in the Hunting Digest that you can't hunt Deer and Bear with Deer scent in your area.I would hope so, but I doubt it. Im going to call Harrisburg and I can't wait to hear the answer.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
I doubt a bear will come to deer pee but if you are really hunting deer I would think your ok
I set up mock scrapes up in Pike county with Tinks scrape spray. I get more pictures of Bear then I do Deer. I gotta hang my drippers 15ft up a tree and out on a limb. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. lost many of drippers. Dem Bears are Crazy Kids.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
I set up mock scrapes up in Pike county with Tinks scrape spray. I get more pictures of Bear then I do Deer. I gotta hang my drippers 15ft up a tree and out on a limb. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. lost many of drippers. Dem Bears are Crazy Kids.
I'm surprised but I would still not think that would be baiting because it's a natural odor in the area. I asked a game and fish officer that question about using acorn scent and he told me if it was a natural smell normally found in the area it was OK to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.