Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Semi auto rifles in PA >

Semi auto rifles in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Semi auto rifles in PA

Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Semi auto rifles in PA

I just received an email from the NRA-ILA stating that the PGC unanimously passed the use of semi-auto rifles in PA. But don't go out and buy one just yet because according to the email it has to go to a final vote during the March 27-28 meeting.
My only hope on this is that I hope they limit the mag capacity to 5 rounds. Most hunters are pretty sensible. But there is always a couple that may start spraying the woods with lead from a 30 round magazine while shooting at game.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 AM
Fork Horn

It won't really affect me much, most of my PA deer hunting is done in shotgun-only areas, and I won't go out and buy a semi-auto rifle any time soon. I know change is difficult to accept in this state, but I've hunted in NY state for a number of years where semi-auto rifles are legal, and I'm not aware of any issues or guys getting shot, a guy with a pump or lever-action rifle can spray 5 shots almost as quick as a guy with a semi-auto rifle. Now, PA just has to get on board with Sunday hunting.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I just received an email from the NRA-ILA stating that the PGC unanimously passed the use of semi-auto rifles in PA. But don't go out and buy one just yet because according to the email it has to go to a final vote during the March 27-28 meeting.
My only hope on this is that I hope they limit the mag capacity to 5 rounds. Most hunters are pretty sensible. But there is always a couple that may start spraying the woods with lead from a 30 round magazine while shooting at game.
Spraying ?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
. Now, PA just has to get on board with Sunday hunting.
For me that would be great news! Unfortunately quite a few hunters and land owners are against it.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

It hasn't passed yet and now that it is out in the public there will be a lot of opposition to semi auto rifles. I also suspect the general assembly will be putting their oars in the water on this issue as well.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It hasn't passed yet and now that it is out in the public there will be a lot of opposition to semi auto rifles. I also suspect the general assembly will be putting their oars in the water on this issue as well.
Do they allow semi auto shotguns to deer hunt there ? Some people like auto rifles and should be allowed to use them if the area is safe to use them in and should be a limit on magazine capacity ? Maybe three rounds so some people dont go nuts "spraying" bullets as some suggest.just my 2 cents on it. Ms
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't see any issue witha s emi auto rifle, I cannot see where some say IF ITS SAFE TO DO SO
whats the difference in SAFE on a semi, over a bolt or pump, or lever??
its the caliber of bullet and power it packs as to HOW far it will go or not
I have seen and SOLD hunters 10 shot mag's for rem 760-7600 pumps in 30-06 and like calibers
and seen and head a TON of rally's over the yrs of 5+ shots ringing out and have since the 70's

the first BUCK and DOE seasons at teh same time, were down in the special reg's area's and they used to use semi auto shotguns, and cannot tell you how many times I see hunters unload at running deer while I hunted down there
it was TRUE< if its brown its down mind set where I was at it seemed to me
and they unloaded there guns when they seen one??(NOT everyone , but a LOT sure did)

there will be SAFE hunters and there will sadly be MORON"S out there with guns
the type of gun, doesn't matter to me to be honest
I don't think a 30 round mag should be allowed, but even if it was, HOW many would really carry one
MANY hunters I doubt want all that added weight if NO other reason
it would be a SMALL amount of those that MIGHT
the MASS of hunters I don't see falling into that game
MOST I doubt will be switching from a rile they used for yrs, to a semi, JUST cause you CAN, if passed
there will still be a alter restriction, which will slow the shooting at running deer
which I think stopped a LOT of them BIG round rally's at deer as we once had, as need to be more sure of targets now
OR the GOOD honest hunters do!
the slobs will always be out there

I hope they enforce more about the TYPES of bullets they will be using and checking them often, if your carrying a AR type rifle
as I can sure see a LOT of dummys, that DON"T know any better buying CHEAPEST ball ammo they can and flinging it at deer
and they mostly all full metal jacketed bullets that DON"T kill very well, and IMO< much MUCH higher and more likely to bounce off tree's and rocks and fly into things NOT planned!
I own a LOT of semi auto guns, and have NO plans of using one, I like my rifles I have now for deer hunting, and I think others are the same way!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I personally don't see a problem with semis for hunting at all. I have a goodly number of bolts and levers all capable of taking deer. But I would be nice if I could take one with my AR-10.
But that wouldn't become habit. Like Mrbb said the weight would really be a bother. Why should I carry a 9-10 lb rifle when I can tote a sweet little bolt action that comes in at just around 7 lbs.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

might also be a problem when hunting private land, as I gather some land owner might turn away hunters showing up with AR style rifles, just due to the press they get, NOT always good
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

The way I look at this issue is that is is a want rather than a need. It is a want because people already have semi rifles and want to use them, I don't see a whole lot of people running out and buying AR platforms or other semi type guns if this passes. Sometimes the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. There are many more important things to address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.