Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Beginner hunter

Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Spike

Default Beginner hunter

Whats up everybody? I've been looking around on this forum for a while now trying to glean as much information as possible from some knowledgeable sources on here and decided it was time to join and reach out. I live in central DE and was hoping to find some other people to hunt with and learn from since I don't come from a hunting family. The type of hunting (deer, waterfowl, etc.) does not matter to me I just want to get out there and do it so I'll travel to wherever you are, if you'll have me. I'm as beginner as they come so if you can tolerate my questions and eagerness to learn and you have an empty seat in the back of the truck, let me know!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice that you chose to join and hopefully will find some like minded sportsmen to share with. Welcome aboard.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

welcome to the forum
Old 07-19-2016, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

welcome to the forum
My best advice to a new hunter is this, don't expect things to happen like they do on TV
just enjoy the time in the outdoors, pay attention to your scent and go slow and expect to make mistakes, there all part of learning

be SAFE, no animal is worth an accident
I came from a non hunting family, and learned how to hunt on my own, desire and will, got to be a very successful hunter now, traveled all over hunting all types of game and its been a great ride

hunting isn't that hard if you make the effort!
you also can learn a TON in the off season by just being in the outdoors, spend enough time and you will pick up on animal movements and likes and dis likes
and come hunting season you will have a jump on things
I gather you have taken a hunter safety course? if not, find one, its a good place to try and meet local hunters
same can be said at local bow shops and gun stores
most all of these stores have groupies that hang out a LOT< and many of these types will be happy to help a new guy out
just take what all is said with a grain of salt
you don't need HIGH end gear either to be successful either!

enjoy and best of luck to you!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

If only you lived in my neck of the woods. I'd be happy to take you.

The first thing you need to do is find someone to take you hunting and show you how the ropes. Also, I recommend starting with small game, squirrel hunting being my personal favorite.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

welcome AJ.... If you haven't already then you need to sign up for a hunter safety course. While in the course try to do some networking there. Talk with instructors and other classmates and maybe you can find someone who can show you the ropes... The safety course will cover allot of useful information for a new hunter. The Ohio and PA courses cover things from firearms safety, to how to take care of your animals after you've killed them, to proper etiquette and how to communicate with landowners and other hunters. Allot of information that you can put to good use. To find one I suggest just using google and searching for a hunter safety course in your state.

As for meeting other hunters. One route is to join a local fish and game club. These range from cheap to very expensive. My local club is only $100 a year. They have monthly meetings, picnics, get togethers, and also host hunts in the fall for pheasants, rabbits, squirrel, etc. I've never been a member but I know people who are and it has been a big help to them.

The other option is to learn yourself. After taking your safety course, get your license and head out to some public land. Squirrel hunting is a great way to start. Everything you learn squirrel hunting translates over to larger game such as deer. To hunt squirrel get your firearm of choice, go find a nice spot to sit in the woods and wait quietly. Pretty soon you'll start to see them. Learn as you go. Time in the woods is important. You can read and talk to people all day. But you'll learn the most by getting into the woods and spending time there.

Feel free to ask questions anytime!
-Jake