Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA to increase hunting license fees >

PA to increase hunting license fees

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA to increase hunting license fees

Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default PA to increase hunting license fees

Just found out that PA is seeking legislation that would double the cost of a hunting license over a 5 year period. Resient adult would go to $40.00 after 5 years and non res would go to $200.00. Junior licenses would stay the same, both resident and non resident. The cost would rise $10 the first year, $5 the second and $5 the third year. PA has not had a license increase in 16 years. I didn;t hear or see anything about the smaller license such as archery muzzleloader etc. Let the the games begin, it is never nice when a license increase is asked for. What ever happens, I will still buy my and my license.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Just found out that PA is seeking legislation that would double the cost of a hunting license over a 5 year period. Resient adult would go to $40.00 after 5 years and non res would go to $200.00. Junior licenses would stay the same, both resident and non resident. The cost would rise $10 the first year, $5 the second and $5 the third year. PA has not had a license increase in 16 years. I didn;t hear or see anything about the smaller license such as archery muzzleloader etc. Let the the games begin, it is never nice when a license increase is asked for. What ever happens, I will still buy my and my license.
In this day and age that seems like a reasonable way to get their budget squared away and not do it all at one time. If it's been 16 years since the last increase, there shouldn't be any griping by the public, but you certainly know there will be because some always want something for nothing! MI just redid it's entire license structure a year ago and there really wasn't much negative criticism the way it was done, especially because of it also being a long time since the last increase.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

All things considered, $40 is still a good deal for a year of entertainment. The money to run the program has to come from somewhere.

I always thought it would be nice to have a seperate pheasant tag (similar to what they have in NJ) to help fund increased stocking, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
All things considered, $40 is still a good deal for a year of entertainment. The money to run the program has to come from somewhere.I always thought it would be nice to have a seperate pheasant tag (similar to what they have in NJ) to help fund increased stocking, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
I agree it has been a while since the last increase. I'm sure their budget needs have increased the same as everything else.
And even buying the license, archery, muzzleloader, bear, anterless, and migratory bird tags it's still a good deal compared to a lot of other states.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It's about time. Loooooooooong time coming!!!!!

HJ
Old 08-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Curious, I agree with the license increase but is there a reason PA never went to a lifetime license for anyone. NC implemented one years ago and the budget account for lifetime license has been a pretty positive over the years.

In case you ask:

Lifetime info for our state can be seen here if you where wondering what we pay.

NCWRC Lifetime license
Old 08-28-2015, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Salty we have a Senior lifetime license, a Senior lifetime Combo license and a Senior annual license for hunters who are or will be 65 yo during the license year in which purchased. Since PA is not funded by the legislature out of the general fund like most states but is self funded by sale of hunting licenses, permits and the sale of timber from state game lands and mineral leases etc. Selling lifetime licenses to hunters at any age while may give them an initial shot of revenue, it would greatly reduce annual revenue in the future. The legislature does however have to approve legislation increasing the cost of a license and the governor has to sign it into law. which is always an awful experience. I understand in some states you can buy a lifetime license pretty much at any age but that would not work in PA with the funding system and the past thing we would want is the agency having to go with their hat in their hands each year before the general assembly to be funded fr the following year like most states do.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get that, each state does find a way to do their own thing. I was only asking as I believe in our program, I think it was a good system when implemented and still to this day. The funds are managed separately to any other funding either by state or the Agency funds. I know, it may not work for others but because of its success here I do like to provide it as information to others when these things come up as a method that they and their states can look into.

This is pretty much the program:

The Wildlife Endowment Fund - Ensuring Fish and Wildlife for Generations to Come
In 1981, hunters, anglers and wildlife enthusiasts became shareholders in an innovative investment and conservation program called the North Carolina Wildlife Endowment Fund.

The endowment fund for wildlife was a simple yet revolutionary idea: Create a lifetime inland fishing or hunting license. Put the license fees into a special fund. Spend the accrued interest, not the principal, on programs and projects that benefit fish and wildlife.

The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission has spent more than $50 million in interest on programs and projects since the endowment fund’s inception.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would be interesting to see how much interest they are making now compared to when it started.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah with interest rates where they are now compared to then I don't see it as a fiscally viable answer as a STARTUP for now. Maybe when/if the economy crawls out of the toilet and bearing interest rates come up but for now it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.