Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Scent ban in Pa? >

Scent ban in Pa?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scent ban in Pa?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scent ban in Pa?

There is currently back door lobbying in Pa for a natural Urine Scent ban similiar to what happened in Virginia this year. This was approved in Virginia over the objections of a majority of hunters held in a single meeting.
The reason being used to ban them is the supposition that they help spread Chronic Wasting Disease, CWD, yet can show no actual,proof or testing that proves it does.

Hunters in Pa who use these products and want to continue to use them better start finding out what is going on with the PGC on this issue. Remember That the lobbyists are already working on them and your legislators. Force those who are pushing the ban to show positive proof it causes what they insinuate it does. When directly asked they have none.

Last edited by vapahunter; 08-19-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

I'm no expert on CWD but from most of the research that I've done,it seems that it's spread by body fluids,which would include urine.Personally,under the current circumstances with CWD being found at multiple deer farms and other deer in the wild,I feel it's a reasonable safe guard.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is, to reasonable people, there is more than enough research to support it.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Yes it is, to reasonable people, there is more than enough research to support it.
Yet you have not been able to provide the research that shows the connection between CWD and natural scents sold in stores. You are on a campaign to ban it in every state and people should be aware of what is going on.

No research or study has been done that shows Bottled scents used by hunters causes CWD or aids in the spread of it. None yet you advocate banning something. Sounds like the old ALAR scare with apples. Why have there been no studies to either prove or disprove you theory? It shouldn't be that hard to do.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You appear to be against darn near any regulation whether for the good or not. CWD or the spores for it has been found in feces, saliva, and urine. While most biologists believe in the lateral transfer of the disease it is still unknown exactly how it has spread but these are the methods most simulations point to. Now you say there is no science to back this well how about this. All these deer scent farms use practically the same method to collect the urine and that is by getting the deer into the area with grated floors and they do what they do. Now while they are pissing in this grated floor, they are also drooling, and also crapping. All three fluids are found in the collection systems when tested. From the time a deer is infected to the time you might see symptoms can be anywhere from several months to 18 months that means there is a very long time that these deer can go unnoticed and continue infecting other deer. I applaud the states for taking this action to protect our resources and I would hope you would see them as making an effort.

Other things to consider:

CWD was first found in captive deer in the 60's and wild deer in the 80's. Kind of gives you an idea where this disease may be most prevalent.

The only test for CWD is by examining the portion of the brain stem. So not sure how these farms are testing there animals, but if an infected animals is found several months later, a hunter could have then used his bottles many times in many areas throughout a season before even a recall notice will go out.

I dont care if the deer are individually taking in for a bottle or not, the risk outweighs the reward by a long shot.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually it would be hard to do. How many biottles of the stuff is out there from how many different sources, how many bottles would have to be tested until one is found to be infected? You can't kill the prions with heat by boiling, even chlorine won't kill them. Once the disease is started it is too late. No sense trying to reason with a person who would rather ignor reason and stick his head in the sand than be pro active. Reasonable people will believe the research and the biologists and the veterinarians rather than a disenting message board poster who thinks he knows more than the professionals.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs down

To those in Pa who wish to fight this youcan see what you are up against. No proof of cause, no answers to any questions and then personnal attacks because you cast doubt on what the so called experts say.

By their own admission they are not sure what caises CWD, do not know how to detect it without killing a deer, fail to test if the prions are in bottled scents and have no studies to show that scents contribute to the spread of CWD.

If you fail to stand up to them they will ban the same scents that have been used for years as they tell you you do not need them snyway. Wake up Pa hunters because thes are the same people eho put he ban inplace in Virginia.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before you spout off any more it would be best if you read up on the subject because most of what you are stating is incorrect!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, first off, if you intend to be on a crusade about something, it would be in your best interest, as well as the cause's, to learn how to spell or type, or at least use "spell check" since it is a free application on most all browsers nowadays. The little squiggly red line under a word means you spelled it incorrectly.

Now to get to your point. I believe dougl, oldtimr, and oldsalty all 3 made the same relatively simple and easy to understand point that the disease CWD is known to be transferred through bodily fluids. Now anyone with common sense would be thinking "okay it's transferred through bodily fluids and the disease is most prevalent on whitetail deer farms which is where the bottled urine comes from so maybe I shouldn't use it". I don't use them myself. The urine and glands I use come from kills the previous year. My own personal opinion is that this is a perfectly reasonable safety step in the fight against CWD in our wild whitetail deer herds. While I agree that there are a LOT of absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary regulations and restrictions in our hunting industry across the nation, this is by far NOT one of those unnecessary restrictions.

vapahunter, I have personally witnessed whitetail with CWD and it is about as ugly a death as there is. Anything that can be done to help reduce the risk of our whitetail deer becoming infected with this horrendous disease is more than welcome in my book.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You seem to assume that all decisions that are made are based on biology or even statistical numbers. This one like many others was more than likely was based on a risk/reward analysis, and the risk for the states deer population outweighs the reward to continue to use deer scent lures.

As you claim others seem to fail to prove a correlation, you also fail to provide how any urine collecting companies have instituted safeguards to prevent the spread of CWD. These companies might have a leg to stand on if they have done something to prevent the spread but they have not and they do not plan to. Without that, the states resources department will have to do the best they can within their means and capabilities. Urine scents are not needed, have never been needed and to act as if this is a affront to your hunting rights is simply a huge overreaction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.