Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

I can't believe

Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I can't believe

The amount of trash that people leave behind on our SGL's and State Forest's . I filled 2 large trash bags at the parking lot of SGL 209 in Pike county. Even the State Roads in NE PA are littered with trash like I never seen. People just don't care!!! I don't get it??????? It's a crime the direction this Country is going. In the TRASH can!!!!!!!!!!!

HJ
Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jack, I can believe it, I have also cleaned up the parking lots and deep in the woods, they carry it in and toss it. I have pulled into a parking lot and found sofas and overstuffed cairs, washing machines and most anything you can imagine. If there were trash cans on Game Lands parking lots they would be overflowing with household trash from people who are too cheap to have their trash hauled away. Much of litter is not done by hunters, game lands are used by many for many reasons, however, most of the stuff I picked up in the woods was from hunters all around the cleared area that shows there was a stand.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

We are living in a pretty disgusting society nowadays. I clean 2.1 miles of highway seven miles from here three times a year for our K of C Council under the Adopt A Highway Program and that means a walk of 4.2 miles getting both sides done. Even with our 10 cent deposit on a can or bottle of carbonated beverages and beer that we've had since the 70s I filled 15 big garbage bags with refuse on the Spring pickup. I'm anxious when I go out tomorrow for my Summer pickup to see how much has been thrown out just since late April. It's really disgusting and if it wasn't for that 10 cent deposit law on beverage containers God knows what the bag count would be.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good for you Top, a worth while project. You can be glad you aren't going to be cleaning up here in SE PA tomorrow, It is 95% here now and it is supposed to be hotter tomorrow and the humidity is through the roof.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not quite that bad here, but it's bad enough that I waited all this week when pickup was scheduled and have to do it tomorrow before the trucks come by the middle of the week to collect all the bags along the roads.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Jack, I can believe it, I have also cleaned up the parking lots and deep in the woods, they carry it in and toss it. I have pulled into a parking lot and found sofas and overstuffed cairs, washing machines and most anything you can imagine. If there were trash cans on Game Lands parking lots they would be overflowing with household trash from people who are too cheap to have their trash hauled away. Much of litter is not done by hunters, game lands are used by many for many reasons, however, most of the stuff I picked up in the woods was from hunters all around the cleared area that shows there was a stand.
Yeah I hear you. It just's blows my mine that a Hunter would sit up in his treestand and throw his trash to the ground. Then leave it. I walk a trail 2.5 miles to a Beaver swamp that I Duck hunt in Pike county. I filled my backpack on the way out with Beer cans soda cans and waterbottles. I just don't get it!!!

HJ
Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really gripes me when I hike a long way into the woods to find a spot I hope hasn't been hunted, only to find empty coffee cups, water bottles, soda cans and empty cigarette packs. Seriously?!? These people can pack it in full, but can't take it out empty? If I were dictator, the penalties for littering would be considered excessive!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is sad. And most of it is from the younger generation. I'm not saying they are all slobs but a large percentage of them have zero respect for others or the land. Us older folk would never even think of stealing a trail cam if they came across on in the woods. But today when you put one out on public land you keep your fingers crossed that it's there when you go to get it.
Last year however I had one gentleman put his beer can in front of my camera so it could take a pic of it. It was pretty funny and at least he didn't steal it. BTW I shot a buck out of the stand in that spot too.