Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Youth turkey

Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default Youth turkey

How did the kids do yesterday and today. Todays the 26th of april.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

worked a few birds but didn't seal the deal
Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Truthfully, not a fan of youth hunts. Think if they want to go out, let them wait till the real opener like the rest of us, and then head out with an adult. Not enough birds out there to begin with these days.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:21 AM
Fork Horn

I personally think youth hunts are great. Kids these days are to
wrapped up in computers to hunt in many cases , giving them
a chance to have a great exciting hunt and maybe catch the "hunting
bug" is important. We as hunters are something of a dying breed
we need all the new recruits we can get.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by w123t
I personally think youth hunts are great. Kids these days are to
I totally agree with this. Of the people I personally know that don't like youth season,they have self centered personalities and don't have kids. With having a youth season all of the adults attention can be on making sure the youth hunter is being safe and having an enjoyable outdoor experience and not split between getting his own turkey or deer (which ever the case may be) and getting a shot opportunity for the youth hunter. Not to mention all the safety issues that come with the added hunting pressure on public land during the regular season.
I think the youth season is a great thing and have already accounted for some great memories with my 8 year old and in the past with my older son. Wish they would have had them in Indiana when I was a boy.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 to the last 2 posts! It usually boils down to the guy that doesn't like youth hunts saying what maytom did in his last few words regarding the resource and not getting the same opportunity as the kids. That, IMHO , is just being selfish when we need to devote time to our youth to get and keep them going down the right path. Having those youth hunts when they are done properly is a great way to do it. Many kids spend little to no time at all nowadays with their parents and having special hunts for them is one way to solve that problem and get them away from all their high tech gizmoes!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
+1 to the last 2 posts! It usually boils down to the guy that doesn't like youth hunts saying what maytom did in his last few words regarding the resource and not getting the same opportunity as the kids. That, IMHO , is just being selfish when we need to devote time to our youth to get and keep them going down the right path. Having those youth hunts when they are done properly is a great way to do it. Many kids spend little to no time at all nowadays with their parents and having special hunts for them is one way to solve that problem and get them away from all their high tech gizmoes!
Selfish? Nah, just don't like the fact that the birds get played with 2 weeks before the start of the regular season.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by maytom
Selfish? Nah, just don't like the fact that the birds get played with 2 weeks before the start of the regular season.
Call it what you want, but what you're saying is exactly what we mentioned and the definition for selfish fits what we're talking about perfectly and your followup response just solidifies it. Do you hunt anywhere that you have to draw a tag? If you do, that must really chap your behind! Do you have kids?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I don't mind youth hunts as long as the youth pulls the trigger. Not sure that is always the case though.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by w123t
i personally think youth hunts are great. Kids these days are to
x10!!!!!!

Hj