Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Redden State Forest (DE) Youth >

Redden State Forest (DE) Youth

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Redden State Forest (DE) Youth

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Spike

Default Redden State Forest (DE) Youth

I am Looking to take my Daughter out this year for her First Youth Turkey Hunt. By what i have read and been told Redden State Forest is a good place to try. I would like to know what tracts you could recommend to me for scouting. I live in northern De so my time is limited to the weekend to scout, any help will go a long way.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike

Redden State Forest does have a really good turkey population, I think you would be good at most tracts. I see you are from Newark, have you considered Blackbird Stare Forest? Are you tied to Redden for some reason? I have hunted Blackbird Forest numerous times. I would go there if you are coming from Newark! I hunted the Cypress Complex, I have seen lots of birds there, I haven't been scouting this year but a friend of mine who works for the forest service says that a lot of turkeys are in area. When I hunted there last year, I noticed a lot of activity I the south east part of the area near the boundry for the white road tract. Good luck, I hope your daughter gets a bird!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Spike

Hey trapperrob thanks for the great information i really appreciate it. I am not set on a certain area, i just knew that Reeden has a good size turkey population. Just trying to maximize the odds for my daughter. Also thanks for the information about blackbird, i was planing on scouting there this weekend coming up so thats good news as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would stick with BB also, plenty of turkeys around here and not so far to drive. Scout along the Dexters Corner are , I think they call it the White Oak Tract, always a few turkeys in tha area, also I think you need a reservation for State ground.......
Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Spike

Hey, Ron i really appreciate your input for BB. I have decided to take my daughter here and have scouted a couple of areas and plan to scout this weekend as well, I have not made it over to that tract yet but I will check it out thanks again for the help.

For the youth hunt you do not need to have a "reservation" for the youth hunt.

Here is the information right from the hunting guide if anyone else is wanting to get a youth out there for Youth turkey day.

YOUTH/NONAMBULATORY DISABLED TURKEY HUNT, APRIL 4, 2015 Open statewide.
Any youth from 10 years to 15 years and non-ambulatory disabled individuals may hunt.
Young hunters must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
Hunters 13-15 years old must have a valid Delaware junior hunting license and must have taken a Basic Hunter Safety course as well as a Delaware approved turkey hunter safety course.
The normal bag limits and regulations apply. Adult companions must be licensed to hunt in Delaware and must have taken a Delaware approved turkey hunter safety class.
Adult companions may not possess a firearm during the hunt. Young hunters must be of sufficient size and physical strength to safely handle a firearm.

• All turkeys taken must be registered. • All state wildlife areas and state forests open for turkey hunting will be open for the Youth/ Non-Ambulatory Disabled Turkey Hunt.

Hunters may go to any areas they choose. If overcrowding occurs, the Division may add this hunt to its pre-season lottery system in future seasons.

Last edited by JoeDMH; 03-24-2015 at 11:13 AM.