Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Maryland Turkey Seasons and Bag Limits >

Maryland Turkey Seasons and Bag Limits

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maryland Turkey Seasons and Bag Limits

Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default Maryland Turkey Seasons and Bag Limits

Maryland turkey hunters, here's a question for you. This year MD introduced a new winter turkey hunting season and with it, a few changes in the hunting/trapping book. While I haven't hunted the fall or winter seasons, several people I know have and they all seem to be coming to me to ask, "I just shot a turkey. Can I only shoot one in spring now?" And I want to be sure I'm giving people the right answer.

The rule for MD turkeys used to be, you're allowed 1 bird in the fall, and 2 birds in the spring (however, if you killed a bird in the fall, you were only allowed 1 in the spring.) So, you were only allowed 2 birds total a year and you basically got to choose if you wanted 1 fall 1 spring or 2 spring birds. This rule was very clearly stated in the hunting guide.

Now with the introduction of the winter season, I've interpreted the guide as saying, 1 bird in fall OR winter, and then 2 birds in spring. It no longer has any addendum suggesting that shooting one in fall or winter means you lose a spring bird. So, this would mean you can now kill 3 birds total in a single hunting year, correct? 1 in fall OR winter, and then 2 in spring?

Here is the link to the MD hunting guide if anyone (or someone from another state) doesn't have it handy. Turkey regulations are on page 23:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/

If any of you could confirm that you are allowed three birds a year now, or otherwise, please do. I'd hate to think I've told someone the wrong information, but I can't find anything in that book that says otherwise. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought you were the women on the scene out there in western md... I'm sure the bag limits are still the same two birds CD MS
Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Spike

I just wanted to update this since I found the answer a while back. I spoke to a Terry Spencer at the MD DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service who confirmed with Glenn Therres (Fiscal, Legislation and Regulations Associate Director) that you can definitely kill three birds in a single year now in Maryland. You can kill 1, either sex, in fall OR winter and then 2 bearded birds in the spring whether you killed a bird earlier or not.