Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Doe application due >

PA Doe application due

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Doe application due

Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougl
The fences were simply to get advanced regeneration past the deer.Very few were for any typr of a deer damage study.

I grew up in Wyoming county and occasionally hunt in Susquehanna county.I have a friend that owns a pile of land up there and things have changed greatly.Many of the big farms are no longer farming allowing the field to just grow up.The last time I hunted up there was about 4 years ago and truthfully,the woods were more overbrowsed and the habitat worse than what I see in the northcentral part pf the state.He has several hundred acres just outside of Montrose.He had some of it timbered a year before I was there and there was literally zero preferred regeneration.The only thing growing was beech and striped maple and it was taking over because the deer leave it alone after they wiped out anything of value.My buddy thought the habitat was great and all I could do was shake my head.Deer need high quality browse during the winter and the truth is,far too many areas don't have enough.It doesn't matter how many deer you have if you don't have sufficient feed to get them through winter.Once the habitat get's so poor,it takes far less deer to impact it and that's what much of Pa was faced with.They did exactly what needed to be done as hard of a pill that was to swallow.
Things sure did change in Susquehanna county. Its the county of GOV.TOM CRUMB GAS WELL CORRBET. Man did they Destroy some nice land that I hunt on near Dimock pa. That WHOLE area is F%$#EDup!!! All the creep Out of State Gas workers just throw their trash out onto the roads. { looking like Philadelphia } NON-Stop water trucks 24/7/365!!! What a MESS !!!! The BIG MONEY was hard to turn down. To top it all off the State lets them RAPE our Land just about TAX Free. I am sure GAS WELL CORRBET will be getting another big donation for his RE/Election from his Gas BUDDY'S Happy Hunting!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
There not being overharvested they were overharvested. Thats why the Hunter numbers have been down in the last 5 years or so. Thats part of the reason the Deer are starting to make a comeback in the State Forest/SGL

Hatchet Jack

Amen

Alt sold HR on the back of PA becoming a big buck haven in the future. Aint gonna happen ( big buck haven )
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

No he didn't.He sold it by saying more bucks would move into the next older age class which is exactly what happened.bIGGER BUCKS WOULD JUST BE A BI-PRODUCT.He did however claim that we'd have more and bigger bucks than ever before and that was a b.s. statement.There's no way you can do that when you reduce the herd by the planned 50%.Regardless,there's no doubt that we now have a much higher percentage of bigger bucks in the herd.I pass bucks almost every year that I would have mounted 15 years ago.The largest taxidermist in this part of the state in a few miles from my house.He used to mount +/-200 deer a year and two would be lucky to have 20+" spreads.Now he's averaging over 400/year and he usually get's 50-60 with spreads over 20".That's significant and most of those bucks come from public land in 2H/2G.

Last edited by dougl; 07-24-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
Things sure did change in Susquehanna county. Its the county of GOV.TOM CRUMB GAS WELL CORRBET. Man did they Destroy some nice land that I hunt on near Dimock pa. That WHOLE area is F%$#EDup!!! All the creep Out of State Gas workers just throw their trash out onto the roads. { looking like Philadelphia } NON-Stop water trucks 24/7/365!!! What a MESS !!!! The BIG MONEY was hard to turn down. To top it all off the State lets them RAPE our Land just about TAX Free. I am sure GAS WELL CORRBET will be getting another big donation for his RE/Election from his Gas BUDDY'S Happy Hunting!!!

Hatchet Jack
They're drilling like crazy up there but most of it is on private land.My brother lives on the Susquehanna,Wyoming county border and they're drilling all around him.They drilled like crazy on two big gamelands down here.The PGC didn't own the gas rights so they had to negotiate surface damage.Once they were done,they actually made the habitat better by creating more edge cover and every well pad and pipeline was turned into a foodplot.I really don't like all the increased access points but since the PGC doesn't own the gas rights,there's not much they can do.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

No he didn't.

ok .
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
ok .
No Okiedokie ALT ! I was at one of his Spin Doctor meetings and I quote. "This HR Plan will make PA the next Illinois. I hunted Illinois many times and PA is not even close to Illinois . I know Illinois is going thru some hard times now due to Overharvest, Blue Tongue, and some lame IDNR people. But! at the time Alt was selling the HR's Illinois was the BOMB. I will say though, you are seeing bigger Bucks coming out of PA. The next Illinois? NOT ! That was a flat out lie to the Hunters of PA . No He didn't? OK.

Hatchet Jack

Last edited by hatchet jack; 07-25-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

I followed this very closely from day one,hearing ALT speak two different times.I never heard him say the goal was to turn PA INTO A TROPHY STATE.I heard him say we were shooting two many bucks and not enough doe.I saw him show racks from deer that made it to another age class but never heard him say the Goal was to be a trophy state like Il.Again,it really doesn't matter.I didn't care for Alt back then and was glad to see him go over 10 years ago.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I followed this very closely from day one,hearing ALT speak two different times.I never heard him say the goal was to turn PA INTO A TROPHY STATE.I heard him say we were shooting two many bucks and not enough doe.I saw him show racks from deer that made it to another age class but never heard him say the Goal was to be a trophy state like Il.Again,it really doesn't matter.I didn't care for Alt back then and was glad to see him go over 10 years ago.
i did. The Gary Alt HR tour was Classic!

hatchet jack
Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Nice for you people that live in a "Recovering" area. The deer herd took a beating around here. The PGC finally dropped this area back to 1 week of doe. That should tell you something. Most of those science boys don't know **** from Shinola, and the next 20 years will show it.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Nope,I live on the border of 2g/2h where everyone claims there's no deer anymore.What I see is recovering habitat,heavier deer and much bigger bucks on average.I'd say those science guys knew exactly what they were doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.