HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY State Doe permit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/372623-ny-state-doe-permit.html)

buckstomp 09-17-2012 11:04 AM

NY State Doe permit

I have a 2012 Doe permit for 5R Saratoga County area to trade for 40,4G or a 4F permit.

nys-buckstalker 09-17-2012 07:00 PM

lots of luck with that. Most of people here in 40,4F, and 4G got denied permits. The ones in 4O were by prefence points only and then even if you had them you got denied. Im a landowner with 125 acres and had 3 points from last 3 yrs and STILL got denied a DMP for 4O. NY has gotten rediculious with it deer management system. not only restrict DMP permits but add antler restrictions to area 4O.

buckstomp 09-18-2012 05:01 AM

Doe Permits

Ya Im aware of the Antler restriction for 40,and 4G. 4F has no antler restriction though. I do believe you will see more permit trading and options in the future though. Also there are still a lot of hunters out there that get doe permits and throw them away.And now could be sharing those permits with hunters in need of meat for the table.The selfish days of tearing up your doe permits to increase herd size need to be put in the past and share those permits to feed the hungary.

HighUpHunter 09-20-2012 04:15 AM

Good luck. We have 600 acres in 4F and got one permit between the two of us... I ended up with a 4J tag, since I work pretty much right on the Pine Bush. It's a joke...

deerslyer11 09-20-2012 05:11 AM

where i hunt i have to put in for a doe permit, but across the road, they dont have to. they can buy them over the counter.

buckstomp 09-20-2012 06:56 AM

Doe permits

Highup -So your saying you didnt get one at all for 4F?.4j is pretty much a lock if you apply you get one.Full of ticks there too.The reality with doe permits to according to DEC stats for NYS kill ratio is less than 20%.You would think it would be much higher.This proves as well the DEC already gives out way to many permits.What good is 4 or 5 kill tags when most hunters fill less than 2 or 3 of em. Many fill none.for all seasons combined.This is an illusion created by DEC to generate more revenue.Ya I have a bow tag,muzzleleloader tag,reg season tag and 2 doe permits So I can take 5 deer.There are not enough deer in the woods to kill that many for all hunters.

bugsNbows 09-20-2012 08:33 AM

NR hunters fare no better. I haven't been able to get one (in zone 8T I believe is the #) for years. I have 3 (resident) friends seeking one also. Yet, when we head to our camp, we are overrun with does. Last year zero legal bucks were seen by 4 hunters in 7 days at our joint. The ratios are all skewed.

PREDATE 09-20-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by buckstomp (Post 3979101)
Also there are still a lot of hunters out there that get doe permits and throw them away.And now could be sharing those permits with hunters in need of meat for the table.

I hear what you're saying, but it seems that if one can shell out enough dough for license fees, then that $ could put a few london broils and spedies on the table!
Alot of new york residents get frustrated with DMP's from time to time(myself included), but we learn to deal with it.
Good luck finding some. I don't deer hunt over that way, so I can't help with tags.

buckstomp 09-20-2012 03:53 PM

Doe Permits

I can understand the frustration especially with those that hunt in the QDM areas this year and the reality is most of those 90% will not even see a buck of 6 points or more to shoot at and no doe permits after spending a big amount of money what $ 100 for a super sportsmens will turn off alot of hunters this year.As I mentioned before the DEC is selling hunters an illusion to increase their revenus Been doing it for years. Most hunters have 2 or more deer tags.Many have 4 or 5 tags and never fill 1/2 of em.Thats because there are not enough deer to fill all those tags.But the DEC will keep coming up with more ways to offer more permits.Next will be a Crossbow permit priviledge for $20-$30 and along with that they will offer another deer tag with it knowing full well their are not enough deer to justify extra permits
Back in the ole days you got 1 Buck tag and if you were real lucky could get a group doe permit with 3 other hunters to share 1 doe. And the cost of licenses then were very reasonable and the amont of permits given out reflected a true picture of deer herd size.
Not so today.Its pure greed and time for a different agency to oversee our wildlife

nysmoker 10-06-2012 03:58 PM

While I dont know the area in question .... im my areas 8y and 8x there is more deer than hunters most years... but there does seem to be pockets of higher populations.I am not sure what the correct way to manage the heard is ,but i dont think the way the DEC is doing it now is effective.I would go out on a limb and say I wouldnt mind some sort of antler restriction in my area.The motto around here does seem to be brown its down.