Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Mentored Youth Doe >

Mentored Youth Doe

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mentored Youth Doe

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mentored Youth Doe

Per the game commission web site, mentored youth hunters can now shoot an antlerless deer and use their mentor's doe tag.

I'll be spending all of archery and the early ML season with my son and hope it's him that fills the freezer for the family.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Does PA have an early youth rifle day?

In WV their is a youth rifle day, doe only, on public land last Saturday of October. Age 8-15. I plan to take my son (9) out, put my climber about 4 feet up in a tree, sit him in it, and then relax at the base of the tree. I will scout some during bow season to be sure I put him on the deer. Hopefully he can put one down with the Marlin 1894 .357. He is a pretty good shot with it at 50 yards.

Nice thing is that it is a free tag, not counting against the licensed hunter.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does PA have an early youth rifle day?
Yes. October 22nd, I believe. Doe only. We also have a week long muzzle loader hunt for doe only and that goes from October 15th through the 22nd.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

so far, i dont see problem with new rule.but i do feel that doe season should be closed in WMU2G.
just is not deer to keep killing doe.
i think with lack of doe it should be kids only on doe.

but problem is ADULTS are shooting deer and putting kids tags on it.
this is happening with new AR rule.
what is kid learning if dad or uncles shoot the SPIKE BUCK , call on radio for kid to tag it.

most of this is being done in CREWS driving the deer.

you know how many kids i saw in woods in regular gun season in western clinton county.
5, you heard it 5.
YET THE PAPER WAS FULL OF BUCKS SHOT BY KIDS,some 6 years old at 25 degrees with sneakers on..liar ,liar tail on fire......................
Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

but problem is ADULTS are shooting deer and putting kids tags on it.
Sproul - this law would promote the opposite. Kid shoots deer and takes adult's tag. Which I love. I would give up my buck for the next 5 years if my boy got one.

I, for one, have no desire to shoot a spike or forkie so I wouldn't need a mentored youth tag. Plus, I'd feel like a loser if I had to use a kid's tag to cover my puny buck. Not to mention, I just robbed that kid of his opportunity to get a deer.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Sproul - this law would promote the opposite. Kid shoots deer and takes adult's tag. Which I love. I would give up my buck for the next 5 years if my boy got one.

I, for one, have no desire to shoot a spike or forkie so I wouldn't need a mentored youth tag. Plus, I'd feel like a loser if I had to use a kid's tag to cover my puny buck. Not to mention, I just robbed that kid of his opportunity to get a deer.

i agree with you.but AR is not working asit should, it is working because of hunters like YOU but others have great thing going.
i know crew that got 7 small bucks last year.

they told me,SPROUL IF YOU THINK WE COUNT POINTS, YOU ARE NUTS.
another crew got 17 bears.they said,BOY IT WAS HARD,WE HAD TO DRIVE BEARS TO KIDS.
you ever try to drive a bear to certain HUNTER?

soooooooooooooooo,back to kids, i believe in kid having more opportunity BUT when i know what is happening,ITS NOT GOOD FOR KID TO LEARN HOW TO BE RULE VIOLATOR .

only way to STOP it would be 3 POINTS to side for all kids .this would stop it and make crews LOOK AND COUNT points and make AR program work.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, those guys aren't hunters. They're low-lives. They would throw dynamite in a trout stream just so they could walk into the parking lot with a full stringer. They would probably foul hook palominos too.

Those guys are poachers....plain and simple.

We have ethics in our camp and I'm teaching the same to my son. Part of being a man is taking the high road. Even if it's easier not to.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

99% of the time,i have nothing to say,but this mentored hunt seemed like a good idea. Hunters,like Barnes,follow the rules and make it work. As Sproul,has stated,most of the mentored hunt pictures,make you wonder? How do you keep a 7,8,9 or 10 year old interested,for hours at a time ? This would be a rare young person! I've seen a few. I could not keep my kids, at that age,fishing with out them losing interest,on nice days!!! They need action to keep them ocupied.
On another note,where do these folks teach these young folks to shoot? In the last 3 years,i've only seen 2 men teaching their children gun saftey and how to shoot! One was a young man and the other was a young lady. I watched as the father talked each one thru saftely,on dry runs,with their weapons. Both of these young ones were very good marksmen!!!!!!
Well,anyways,i don't like the mentored hunt thing,but,it has to do with my right to hunt and i would not go against it.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Well, those guys aren't hunters. They're low-lives. They would throw dynamite in a trout stream just so they could walk into the parking lot with a full stringer. They would probably foul hook palominos too.

Those guys are poachers....plain and simple.

We have ethics in our camp and I'm teaching the same to my son. Part of being a man is taking the high road. Even if it's easier not to.
most of people doing this are mayors,lawyers,business leaders,masonic leaders,catholics,protestant,dcnr employees,school officials,railroaders,pen-dot, gas drillers,united way officials,prison officials,sheriffs,store owners,farmers,post office officials,SPORTING CLUB MEMBERS on and on.

these are all EXAMPLES of type of people doing this.
the real poachers dont come out until after dark.
these people are our neighbors and pillars of your community.

this is what makes it so hard to stop it.

my truck was stuck in ditch. blizzard blowing that day and 5 miles from main highway.

i had my lab toby with me. 1 cold bad day.along comes the lone truck, THANK GOD. it was one of those PILLARS OF YOUR COMMUNITY.
he pulled me out of ditch and would not take any money for doing it.
this is same RULE VIOLATOR that is i GANG shooting at ANY buck ,not looking at horns too count 3 to side.

now, HOW HARD IS THAT FOR ME TOO TURN HIM IN AND HIS CREW .

i use this as example .

the AR rule needs changed too 3 points to side FOR ALL OF US.
then it would work and stop this IF I HAVE KID IN GANG,shoot dont look.

like said BARNES goes by rules but is 1 of maybe 20 that does.
my brother goes by rules.his 12 yr old sat for 5 hrs first day last year and saw NOTHING.
he quit, i bet i will not see him this year.
he sighted in his gun too, I SAW HIM AT RANGE .
but you should have seen FACE of my brother.

i think he would have DONE anything to get buck for his son.

same FACE that i see on all the other ones that are VIOLATING THE RULES.
but he wants his son too do RIGHT THING but now i think he lost his son to hunting do to lack of deer.

Last edited by sproulman; 08-21-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mounting man
99% of the time,i have nothing to say,but this mentored hunt seemed like a good idea. Hunters,like Barnes,follow the rules and make it work. As Sproul,has stated,most of the mentored hunt pictures,make you wonder? How do you keep a 7,8,9 or 10 year old interested,for hours at a time ? This would be a rare young person! I've seen a few. I could not keep my kids, at that age,fishing with out them losing interest,on nice days!!! They need action to keep them ocupied.
On another note,where do these folks teach these young folks to shoot? In the last 3 years,i've only seen 2 men teaching their children gun saftey and how to shoot! One was a young man and the other was a young lady. I watched as the father talked each one thru saftely,on dry runs,with their weapons. Both of these young ones were very good marksmen!!!!!!
Well,anyways,i don't like the mentored hunt thing,but,it has to do with my right to hunt and i would not go against it.

you are right.we teach hunter training course at our club.our number of kids has DOUBLED,yes, DOUBLED.
WHY?because dads want that extra tag to use. ITS THAT SIMPLE.its GREAT during buck only week withn AR rule.
over half the kids FLUNK the test.dont laugh, they do. they are not intersted .

yes WHERE DO YOU SEE 6 YEAR OLD SHOOTING GUN IN?you have to range here in my area and I DONT SEE THEM SHOOTING?

2 storys, here we go.
i was at wal-mart.dad walked in with 3 daughters.OLDEST ONE SAID ,this is stupid, I AINT GOING HUNTING ANYHOW.
dad said, JUST SIGN IT..........

NEXT ONE, a 7 year old girl got big buck ,i believe it was 10 point and shot on publicland.
when teacher said,HONEY WHAT DID YOU SHOOT THE BIG BUCK WITH?
she said,DAD TOLD ME TO TELL YOU IT WAS A WEE-O-8.

there you have it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.