HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Ar-15 in Pa. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/341590-ar-15-pa.html)

stapher1 03-08-2011 05:35 PM

Ar-15 in Pa.

Me and my buddy have been talking about wishing we could use ar-15's for hunting varmints only. They must be like the line of ar's remington is offering with a 5 shot mag. No sks or mac90's, m4 ar's etc. Just ar-15 varmint rifles. I have a hard time understanding why they are not allowed but no caliber restrictions for deer or varmints...well that i have seen anyways. What do you guys think about ar's for varmint in pa in areas legal for centerfire rifles?:confused0024:

Pygmy 03-08-2011 07:21 PM

There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..

ecuchief 03-09-2011 03:55 PM

Another odd restriction is the use of air powered rifles. I have a Gamo Whisper that is perfect for rural small game hunting. However, it is illegal to use for hunting.

BarnesX.308 03-09-2011 03:57 PM

It's illegal in PA. But I see nothing wrong with it. Especially for varmints.

Valentine 03-09-2011 04:41 PM

PA is lucky

they allow flintlock muzzleloaders. They're never going to change in your lifetime.
Besides, compound bows and crossbows are getting more efficient. There was never a problem in the last eighty years to reduce game in PA. With over 700,000 hunters available, the gc has enough hunters to cover a few weeks of shooting.

stapher1 03-11-2011 01:23 PM

I don't buy guns to punch holes in paper or shoot pop cans, so if i can't hunt with it, it's pointless for me. Which is a shame because i do like to shoot them, BUT!:bash:

rybohunter 03-11-2011 06:20 PM

I hate most laws in this state.

stapher1 03-12-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pygmy (Post 3784017)
There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..

I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks:evil:

rem700man 03-13-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by stapher1 (Post 3785630)
I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks:evil:

Please post some kill pics after ya get started!lol

BarnesX.308 03-14-2011 08:31 AM

I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks
If it's a manual-loading 50 BMG, it would be legal. :barmy:

I hope you handload, could get costly to shoot. :D