Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
When does wv bow season start >

When does wv bow season start

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

When does wv bow season start

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default When does wv bow season start

hey guys , a guy told me today that the wv bow season starts this year sept 13th for a week but i cant find any info on that on the web , can some one help me out.
and also can you bait deer on private land in wv?

thanks in advance

Last edited by DR KILL; 08-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs1011/Season_dates.pdf

i read online that baiting (for deer) is legal in west virginia throughout the state. baiting turkey and bear is illegal though.

Last edited by ropaque; 08-22-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are special seasons in some areas...but the season starts Oct 16th.

Per usual, WV is behind most other states in opening their bow season earlier. Ohio used to open theirs the first weekend in Oct...the looked around and noticed that other states were opening earlier, and now it's the first saturday in sept.

WV also moved theirs back when the began a "youth squirrel" day. This just baffles me. I've been squirrel hunting in WV for nearly 35 years...on both private and public land...and I've never had problems with crowds. But the DNR feels the need to have a youth squirrel day? I'm all for the kids...and the youth gun seasons are wonderful for deer, because the kids can get out there alone and not compete for deer...but squirrels??? Come on now.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Great news....WV got with the program this year, with regular bow season starting October 1st!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

yep oct 01 this year and also new is no baiting on public land this year for deer or any big game
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I am pretty sure it has never been legal to bait deer on public land in WV, only on private land.

The regular archery season where you can harvest an anterled or anterless deer with the correct tags opens Oct. 1st this year. This is two weeks sooner than it has in the past.

There is also a Sept. 12- 17th anterless ONLY archery season in all or part of 22 counties on private land. These are counties where the number of deer are still considered to be over carrying capacity.

There is also a anterless only private land only muzzle loader season the follow week in those same counties. Bag limit is one anterless in each of these two special seasons. You can't hunt the muzzle season with a bow.

See this link for details.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/Regs1112/Deer_Season.pdf

WV Gino

Last edited by WV Gino; 08-01-2011 at 08:29 AM.