Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Where is the best counties to deer hunt in Maryland? >

Where is the best counties to deer hunt in Maryland?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where is the best counties to deer hunt in Maryland?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Where is the best counties to deer hunt in Maryland?

It would appear that I am headed to Maryland to work for the next few years. I had thought it might be Wisconsin but things have changed and it looks like Gaithersburg. I was wondering where the best counties to deer hunt might be because I know nothing much about that state? I most likely will live in Pa. or maybe WV but will be working in Gaithersburg, any info would be appreciated.

dd
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Maryland has flat ag lands with big bodied, big racked deer on the shore, and mountain deer on the western part of the state with a mix of both in the central part of the state. Staying within commuting distance of Gaithersburg, I'd say you'd probably be interested in checking out Frederick County. It's a fairly short commute to Gaithersburg, has some ag lands in the southern part of the county and some mountains in the northern part of the county. Bag limits are very liberal (36 total deer possible with all weapons, using bonus tags). Deer populations are high, some public land available, plus it's within a reasonable drive to both the extreme east and extreme west parts of the state.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you S&D for all the information ....I just may be hunting Pa. or W.V. to depening on where I decide to buy a house.

dd
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
bigcountry

Some of the biggest monsters I have seen and seen killed has been Montgomery county where you are going to work. But, a big but is its difficult to get land and permission. Some of the high end horse farms in that region has some monsters. Baltimore county suberbs in the north produces fine deer. Again, hard to get land. Damascus area has been seriously producing. See lots of 150 class deer pulled out.

I am going to start working crop damage permits in potomic area up to gaithersburg. Hopefully will get me an in with the land owner for the regular hunting season.

Second, across the bridge on the eastern Shore, Queen Annes produce some monsters. I killed a nice 140 class last year, seen much bigger. Dorchester will look tempting with cheaper leases, but I say beware. That county used to produce large deer but last few years have been disappointing for friends who have leases and farms.

Carroll and Frederick counties produce ok deer. Really depends where you hunt.

If you are going to working that shop, just keep your ear to the ground and something will come thru for you in Howard/Montgomery county. Its mostly bow hunting however. Which suits me fine.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks BC ...is there any restrictions to using a crossbow in Md and do they have a muzzleload season?

dd
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

Crossbows are legal during the entire bow season this year (Sept 15 - Jan. 31) and MD does have 2 muzzle seasons. An early one in mid October and a late one after the rifle season.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Spike

PM me I worked there for two year's /
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Spike

Hey Doc. Best hunting is monkey county, (montgomery co.), and generally with a bow. The eastern shore is also very, very good for big farm deer. Over here in the west you got skinny mountain deer that make you earn it, but honestly thats how I grew up on it and I love thick mountain deer hunting. Most of the public land in frederick county is over-hunted, looks like a pumpkin patch, so much orange. It sucks but the best chance will be on private property in frederick, montgomery or queen anne's counties.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

im originally from out that way closer to bedford county. I can tell you this, people up there are much more friendly and it is alot easier to find places to hunt. man i am tired of living here in delaware. you pretty much have to be a good ol boy born and raised in delaware to have a decent place to hunt. the friends i have made live too far away to really make a regular place to hunt. up there the neighbors would hunt our land and we could hunt theres. that made for 100s of acres to hunt on. now i have less than ten.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Montgomery County, MD is the number one Boone and Crockett producing county on the entire east coast.

You want to go out towards Boyds and Comus, huge deer out there but I doubt you'll have much luck getting permission to hunt. I had a great place, saw the biggest deer in my life, probably would have been the Maryland record, but I was 16 years old and couldn't get it done. That place is now a development.

There is public hunting there, but I believe they lottery it off and you have to stay where they tell you, you need to call the DNR about it.