Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
shannondale springs managment area in wv >

shannondale springs managment area in wv

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

shannondale springs managment area in wv

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default shannondale springs managment area in wv

hey guys , as you can tell im new to hunting in wv and i was wondering if anyone hunted at shannondale springs managment area? and if so what did you see or kill? also i talked to a guy who lives downt he road and he said bear are all over that area is there any truth to this?
thanks in advance

dr kill
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted it for the last 2 years (I hunt the river side). I have never seen any bear, nor have I heard my neighbor talk of bear and he has hunted it for the last 15 years. I have both bow hunted it and rifle hunted it. I have taken a doe each of the last 2 years, and have seen several deer while bow hunting.

On opening day of rifle season there may be 15-25 hunters in the woods, but most folks do not venture over the ridge.

My impressions of it is that there are ample does, but you are not likely to kill a trophy buck.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted there quite a bit, never saw a buck while hunting but when I was scouting last year I saw a ~130" 10 point with a ~120" 8 point. My buddy also took a ~140" 10 point about 8 years ago.

It's good for bow season, but it gets packed during rifle season and those deer hold up in the thicket like you wouldn't believe.

I have seen lots of turkey, all hens, but never once seen a bear, and my buddies have never seen a bear.