Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How much does this deer weigh? >

How much does this deer weigh?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How much does this deer weigh?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How much does this deer weigh?

ORIGINAL: petropedro

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Looks to be smaller bodied than mine. I would guess dressed 155 - 165. Petro - why do you doubt 200 lb PA deer? Granted - they are far and few between. In my 40+ years I've maybe seen 5 that went over 200. Mine being the last one.
i have seen 200lb deer before on a deer farm. what people forget is that they bulk on fat during the winter.1lb of fat compared to 1 lb of muscle in mass = the fat takes up 18% more room than muscle does. them deer are mostly fat and then lighter than actually if they was muscle. also have you ever cut up your own deer?one rear quarter does not go 25 lbs alone. its not hard to figure out if you ever butchered your own animals. fat weighs less than muscle. i do believe we have true 200lb deer here in pa. but they are very rare to see. in my time butchering, i have yet to see a 200lb dressed out buck. 195 was the closest and it was a monster that many would guess 300+.
Where do you come up with this stuff? I've butchered 34 deer of my own and probably at least 30 more of my friends and my results are about the exact opposite of yours. Rear quarters are often 25 pounds or more, deer burn fat in the winter, not bulk up. Deer have little fat to begin with, even your farmland bucks, and the ones I have taken the weight from fat isn't even worth mentioning. Deer muscle is dense andthat buck has plenty of it.

Here's some jerky meat I sliced up this year as proof that at least one of us has actually butchered a deer.

Here's what 30 pounds of sliced meat looks like.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 say 173 dressed.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

bla bla was a butcher for 4 yrs myself and wouldnt claim to be an expert
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

bla bla was a butcher for 4 yrs myself and wouldnt claim to be an expert
I'm no expert, far from it, which is why everything becomes jerky except for a roast or two and the loins. One day I hope to have the money to become one though, maybe even buy my own "Jumbo Jet." [X(]
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

brent the last post was in reply to petro pedro
i wasnt a deer butcher i was a beef cutter many years ago now
jumbo jet does sound good to own thou i played on a simulator few years back it seemed like a fun
thingof course any video game that cost 1/4 mill outta be fun
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

Looks to be smaller bodied than mine. I would guess dressed 155 - 165. Petro - why do you doubt 200 lb PA deer? Granted - they are far and few between. In my 40+ years I've maybe seen 5 that went over 200. Mine being the last one.
i have seen 200lb deer before on a deer farm. what people forget is that they bulk on fat during the winter.1lb of fat compared to 1 lb of muscle in mass = the fat takes up 18% more room than muscle does. them deer are mostly fat and then lighter than actually if they was muscle. also have you ever cut up your own deer?one rear quarter does not go 25 lbs alone. its not hard to figure out if you ever butchered your own animals. fat weighs less than muscle. i do believe we have true 200lb deer here in pa. but they are very rare to see. in my time butchering, i have yet to see a 200lb dressed out buck. 195 was the closest and it was a monster that many would guess 300+.
Where do you come up with this stuff? I've butchered 34 deer of my own and probably at least 30 more of my friends and my results are about the exact opposite of yours. Rear quarters are often 25 pounds or more, deer burn fat in the winter, not bulk up. Deer have little fat to begin with, even your farmland bucks, and the ones I have taken the weight from fat isn't even worth mentioning. Deer muscle is dense andthat buck has plenty of it.

Here's some jerky meat I sliced up this year as proof that at least one of us has actually butchered a deer.

what deer did you take that from?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

but what would i know, i just fly jumbo jets?
A real comfortng thought for those of us who fly once in awhile
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

just wondering brent do you need to go to jerky addict meeting
Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

what deer did you take that from?
This year's 10 & 7 point. 30 pound meat yield with the two round roast's being kept aside. I have 3 bags left, everyone I know cleaned me out. I vacuum sealed them with this label:

Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drum roll please.......... 169 dressed!

Most of you were very close!! I have no idea what his live weight was. He had hardly any fat on him as is the case for most buck after they have been chasing.

Quick Reply: How much does this deer weigh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.