Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Tracking Devices for Treestands >

Tracking Devices for Treestands

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Tracking Devices for Treestands

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Tracking Devices for Treestands

Does anyone have any experience with using a Tracking Device on their Treestands? We have had 3 Ladder Stands as well as a set of Climbing Sticks (Chained & Locked) stolen in the past couple of years. Would like to set out a "dummy" stand with some type of TrackingDevice to catch and prosecute whoever may be doing this.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tracking Devices for Treestands

Get a climber and put a camera facing the ladder stand 15 feet or so up in another tree 30 or so feet away. When they steal the stand you'll have pix of them. I don't know what kind of bug you could put somewhere in/on the treestand that you would be able to follow or locate after the fact. I suppose one of those dog trackers for finding lion or coon hounds would work, but I suspect they are pricey. I would take to engraving my name in every piece of the stand if they were stealing mine. I would also stick a piece of waterproof paper with my name in each ladder section so if they did grind your name off it, they probably wouldn't look in the ladder sections. At least this way when you did come across one, you could reach up inside and pull it out in front of the game warden.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lojak
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JJNY

Does anyone have any experience with using a Tracking Device on their Treestands? We have had 3 Ladder Stands as well as a set of Climbing Sticks (Chained & Locked) in the past couple of years. Would like to set out a "dummy" stand with some type of TrackingDevice to catch and prosecute whoever may be doing this.
most dont touch a ladder stand in my area as they are heavy to get out of woods and you can buy them now for 49 dollars.

if they are stealing it, you have to just not leave it there.

get yourself a climbing stand made by summit or lone wolf.

get one with a big platform as you can.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Onstar also would work. no jus kidding I can not stand that they stole one of mine this year worth over $300 and two other friends of mine also had theres stolen.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowanna03

Onstar also would work. no jus kidding I can not stand that they stole one of mine this year worth over $300 and two other friends of mine also had theres stolen.
where they the climbing stands+

i had to remove my trail cameras early this year also.

do to lack of deer, you have hunters sneaking around following you.[:@]

they PEAK out laural at you.[:@]

we caught the guy that bro my brothers trailcamera,he took film but did not know there was a sd card in back.

i called him and SAID, HERE IS PRICE OF CAMERA AND 20 DOLLARS FOR PAIN/SUFFERINGI GIVE YOU 2 WEEKS OR I AM GOING TO MAGISTRATE WHO IS RELATED TO ME.

DAYS LATER MONEY WAS IN MY MAILBOX
Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get a climber and put a camera facing the ladder stand 15 feet or so up in another tree 30 or so feet away. When they steal the stand you'll have pix of them
But if the flash goes off and they spot itthey just use the ladder they just stole to climb the camera tree and steal the camera.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Get a climber and put a camera facing the ladder stand 15 feet or so up in another tree 30 or so feet away. When they steal the stand you'll have pix of them
But if the flash goes off and they spot itthey just use the ladder they just stole to climb the camera tree and steal the camera.
dont think for one moment that they will not spot that camera in tree,they will and cut tree doiwn to get at it.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take the chance on the camera myself. Its really the only chance you'll have. Several cameras don't flash during daylight hrs, but to be safe I'd go with a one the digital infared no flash cameras. Def. don't use a film camera, they'll hear it snap the pic & advance. Setup your dummy stand so you can place the camera in a conifer tree, so its camo'd better. Also being up in a tree several feet most people won't think to look for a camera that high. Put it higher than your stand, and angle it downward some. You can go further & place the camera inside a metal box. Of course you'll need to chain & lock it, don't use anything shiny or paint it. If you have snow on the ground you'll have to cover up your activity around the tree the cameras in.
I've never done this for a stand, but used this setup in tree's around my camp.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I had a brand new ladder stand stolen a couple of years back before the season even started, I never even hunted from it! This was on private land that is well marked and not near any property line. After that I purchased Master Lock Python cable locks for all my stands. They are about $18.00 at walmart and I havent lost any since. I also took a blank posted sign backer board and wrote a message to the thieves if they returned to the spot. I wrote that I hope they fell out of it and broke thier neck. I dont know if they came back again but it made me feel better to vent!

MIKE

Quick Reply: Tracking Devices for Treestands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.