Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Pistol Permit? >

NY Pistol Permit?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Pistol Permit?

Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM

Default NY Pistol Permit?

What is involved/needed to get a NY pistol permit, in particular a conceal-carry? I am in Oswego county. Just want to know what to expect when I go to apply. I already signed up for a handgun safety course.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Pistol Permit?

I believe your county is like Onondaga where concealed carry is very very hard to come by.

You fill out the application and turn it in with your class certification. They take your fingerprints and then process everything. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months. After 6 months they legally have to give you a reason why its taking so long.

Now they can and most likely will place a *sportsman* restriction on it. There is also a employment,security and posses on premises. In Onondaga County you can only carry for hunting,fishing,hiking in remote areas,trapping and at the shooting range with a *sportsman*. When you transport it you have to have a trigger lock on it separate from the ammo. In Oswego I believe that its allowed to carry concealed to and from those activities.

Every County has a different set of rules.

Now when you buy a pistol you get a receipt from the place where you bought it from. you take that to the clerk or Sheriff's Dept that handles it in your county. They then check the receipt and adds the gun to your permit and gives you a green coupon. You take the coupon and your permit back to where you bought it from and pick up your gun.

If you buy or are given a gun you must have a receipt and get it notarized and go through the same steps as above. Its easier if both of you go there and do it in person.

Now from what people have told me in Oswego County the Judge has t approve every gun that goes on your permit. I was also told that he takes his time. Maybe its not true but just what others have told me.

Any other questions let me know.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a load of crap. It would be easier to move to a more "gun friendly" state. Those Libs up there have ruined a beautiful state.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 PM

You should see the hoops we have to jump through to own and transport a pistol in Suffolk County...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I don't get NY state.. I live in Ulster county where on the front of the application it clearly states "handgun safety course recommended but not required"...

It took me 7 months of waiting and $99.00 to get mine. Thats it, no going in front of the judge, safety courses or anything. When I applied the cleark said " That will be $99 please and in 4 months go pick out a pistol "... LOL
Old 09-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Hell-just fix yourself up with a sawed off double and your all set.[X(]
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salty444

I don't get NY state.. I live in Ulster county where on the front of the application it clearly states "handgun safety course recommended but not required"...

It took me 7 months of waiting and $99.00 to get mine. Thats it, no going in front of the judge, safety courses or anything. When I applied the cleark said " That will be $99 please and in 4 months go pick out a pistol "... LOL
Every County is different. There was a Bill (A-06378) where it would have all county's be uniform with the process. It has been proposed for a couple of years and doesn't seem to go anywhere.

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06378
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

move to livingston county it is faily easy to get it here, and you can buy a pistol before getting it approved