Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New WV State Record??? >

New WV State Record???

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New WV State Record???

Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM

Default RE: New WV State Record???

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Is WV doing any different kind of deer program as of late? Antler restrictions? Clear Cutting? Food Plots? I've heard a lot about them in the last couple of years.
Beleive me, years ago, you never saw any big bucks in Mingo, logan, McDowell, or Wyoming County. I grew up in this region and all my family is near Mingo. But as soon as they eliminated the guns, and let them grow, and let nature manage the herd, big, big deer started showing up. Not too many people have food plots, and alot of strip mine land was reclaimed, but I don't believe that has much to do with it. I spend some time on top of these reclaimed strip mines shooting and 4-wheeling, and never see monsters on this land. Only in the woods.

Whats ya age these counties have been bow only for close to 40years well over 30 and they were made bow only because of so many houses in the mountains for the danger of a stray bullet and another thing the big bucks in this state for almost a century have been killed in southernwv so i hope your making these assumptions on heresay
Old 12-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

That's incorrect, truehitter. The reason these 4 counties were classified as bow-only was nothing more or nothing less than deer population. Simply put, there were almost no deer here back in the 70's. They were nearly wiped out. I would not be surprised if the total population (in all 4 counties together) was less than 100 deer.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to curse my luck growing up because of the lack of deer.....but things are different now. Everytime I go to the stand theres a good chance of seeing at least a 130"(killed a 131" in 06 and a 126" this year). I do believe of the 4 bow only counties though that Logan is prob the best of them. The taxidermy shop I take my deer to has had 4 160+ inchers checked in there this year. Thats still in Wyoming County. We have had several good mast crops in a row up till this year which seems to have helped a bunch.

I still drive up north to gun hunt but it sure is nice to have the quality of bowhunting that we have in the area. I knew there had to be some local folks on this forum..just never seen them until now.