Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 public hunting land in central ny >

public hunting land in central ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

public hunting land in central ny

Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default public hunting land in central ny

Irecently moved to the city of Oneida and I have no idea where to hunt. If anyone can give me an idea of where some good state land is I would appreciate it. I am looking for an area with a good amount of deer. I do not care if it is mostly doe because a doe tastes pretty good too.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Default RE: public hunting land in central ny

When you buy your hunting license, they should give you a big game syllabus with it. There used to be a map of all the state land throughout NY in that. If not, try calling your local DEC office. Probably Syracuse for where you live. I could steer you around down here in the Southern Tier, but I don't really know much about your area. I know we see plenty of Deer from Rt 81 as we go through Syracuse and up towards Pulaski to Steelhead fish! Some nice racks also!

Goog Luck!
John
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Spike

do a google search for the new york state dec website. they have added a new feature which highlights all the state lands in new york by area. very cool.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Spike

here is the link.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/statelands/
Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Toad Harbor(northside of onieda lake), Cicero swamp(southside of onieda lake) are two good ones
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
OGW

Send me a PM
I'm fairly familiar with the area...been here since 2003.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Spike

thanks stretchhunts. I have been considering cicero swamp. where is the best access
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Jim,

Try this, it worked for me when I first moved up here from Hamilton. Plus you get permission for private land.

Go to the region 7DEC office and find out who gives out the nuisance deer permits. Ask for the names and addresses of farmers who are reporting crop damage. When I did it, I was given about 6 names and got permission for a few places. If a farmer denies you permission be sure to tell the DEC, they like to know about it.

Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

I also found this

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7844.html
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Go up rt. 31 towards Cicero. There is some land in Cicero swamp down rt. 298 about a mile or so past the cemetary. ( 298 will be on your left side)

Also if you go about 3/4 of a mile past 298 and continue on rt. 31 towards cicero, you will see a side rd. ( on your left) past an entrance to a neighborhood, go past the neighborhood and turn down the side road. ( The side road is called Bull rd.) Go all the way to the end of it. You will reach the corner of Bull rd. and Eastwood,you will see the rod and gun club on the corner, you can park in there or out in the small parking space with the state land sign on the road. You can go right into the woods anywhere from behind the gun club, but you can also walk the fenceline between the cowfeild and gunclub, just follow the row of pines untill you get to the fence, then follow the fence, ( you will see a trail) If you go all the way down you will find a saddle there with alot of large " old rubs" I haven't looked down there in over a year. There is alot of land out there in cicero swamp.... I will be coming back toNY statethis year and will be hunting not too far away from there on some private land.....good luck and be safe my freind.