Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

wild turkey

Old 04-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Default wild turkey

how does it taste? compared to your typical store bought turkey?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wild turkey

Better than store bought, and almost impossible to dry out (unless you use a smoke alarm as a timer). Seriously, I like it a lot better than store bought, especially with giblet gravy and biscuits.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geez, I thought you were asking about the liquid variety.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want one to eat, kill a Jake or a young hen. The older birds are just naturally tougher. The drumsticks on an old bird are tougher than whang leather, and you can't hardly get your fork in the gravy. Not to say they don't taste good, just a little "chewyier" if you know what I mean.
I usually oven roast them in a cooking bag, and set the timer to "submission".
Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MikeVT

Better than store bought, and almost impossible to dry out (unless you use a smoke alarm as a timer). Seriously, I like it a lot better than store bought, especially with giblet gravy and biscuits.
Wild Turkeys' are naturally less moist than a Butterball, MUCH DRIER, due to NO FAT CONTENT,comparably speaking. you need to roast a WT differently than a store bought, for that fact. I suggest a basting bag. the meat is also DARKER, with little "white" meat, as comapared to the BBs. I've killed/cooked/eaten enough WTs to know that THAT statement about drying out is WAAAAAAAAAY off.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you like dark meat? I do.

Actually they're pretty good. I prefer Wild to store bought.

Yes, use one of those cooking bags.

I skin instead of pluck. I rub it all over with cooking oil too.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to miss next weeks turkey hunt for me, as a shutdown is going on. Maybe I will get a chance this fall with a bow. But, I was wondering why some fillet the meat rather then roast it. What would the reason be for that?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like wild turkey. the others are right on with their advice. 2 other ways i cook them is deep fried and in a crock pot. this fall i put my whole skinned hen in a crockpot with chopped onions and BBQ sauce...man oh man was that good. other old spring toms ive cut the breasts into strips and put them in bread crumbs and deep fried...turned out good...

oven ones WILL dry out when cooked like grandma cooks the thanksgiving butterball. i never really cared for any oven roasted turkey after i started deep frying them. i dont know how deepfrying a whole wild bird would work because i always skin mine. there aint enough time in a day to pluck a turkey skinning them takes me all of about 5 minutes. wings, tail, feet, and beard come off, open up the vent and gut it. pull the skin off, wash it off and cook it or bag it and freeze it..i tried plucking my first...i got about a fist sized spot done, ended up tearing the skin anyways and proceeded to skin it...took a while to get that little spot done...nasty feathers stuck to you..flying all around the garage and yard...nah..not for me! lol.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I like it and it is drier than a store bought but find the flavor to be similar. I don't usually roast mine I breast them and use as I would with any boneless breast. Good on the grill.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 AM

Its great. I like it alot better then store boought. We are leaving tonight for opening day tommorow. I just ogtta wait for everyone to get done work or school.

Quick Reply: wild turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.