Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where's DougE?

Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where's DougE?

Can anyone tell me what happened to DougE who used to post here? I always enjoyed reading his posts and comments, and doing a little "back & forth" with him.
Hope he's O.K............
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where's DougE?

His last login was on 10/6/06.
I wonder also.
Guys come and go here, just like in life.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

He is rumored to have entered either a monastery or a convent, forget which now. Figure if it was a convent, they'd have tossed him outlong ago.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see you missed me wildman.I've had a busy year with all the coyote and mountain lion stocking going on.

Actually,I couldn't log on to this site from mycomputer at work for quite a while.

How are things around the tornado area?I had a lot on my plate this fall and didn't make it out that way all year.I had a good year.I killed a nice 10 point and couple dmap doe with my bow.I also killed a gobbler with my bow but it doesn't really count because it was just an incidental kill.The public land treated me good as well.I sawquite a few deer and killed a couple more dmap doeon public land in Elk county as well as a doe in 3B.This was actually one of the best years I've ever had in Pa.I saw more nice bucks this year than ever before and a grand total of 3 other hunters all season on public land.I had quite a few deerless days on stand but you really had to stay on top of the deer this year because the food sources were changing constantly.That and the lack of pressure kept the deer holed up butthere were more than enough out there.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to see you back here DougE. Hey maybe you can help us out down here. I just got a call and we got three extra truckloads of coyotes and a trailer full of cougars that we don't need down here (too many people down here and we dont want em munching on the suburbanites) Do you suppose you could find some room for them up there in 2G?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I couls help you but rumor has it that 5 truckloads already broke down on I80so they had to let them go here.I'll let you know if we need any after the Mosquito creek hunt.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see you're back, Doug. Things were so-so around our area this year. Saw plenty of turkey right up until season, then they shifted a bit due to feed, I suppose. Really didn't get to hunt as much as I wished, either. Bear season was about average for us, with the exception that nobody saw one this year. I hunted from camp due to the fact that I saw several nice bear from camp this year, several times. Others were seeing them also. Most of the other guys hunted the tornado area off Shaggers Inn Rd., between Medix and Little Medix Run. That area is getting well into the pole stage, and doesn't seem to hold the attraction for bear it once did. Same with the area near Parker Dam. I hunted it briefley during the Oct. muzzleloader, saw some nice big does there, but never pulled the trigger. Regular deer season found two of us at camp. I killed a nice DMAP doe the first morning early, and my buddy passes on several young antlerless due to their size. Lots of shooting. Our neighboring camp got two nice buck--a decent 6 pt., and a beautiful 8 pt. with high tines and I would estimate around a 19" spread. Real nice deer.
Glad you had a good year, and glad to know you're back.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to a guy that was doing some work on the cabins in Parker dam during the first week of rifle season and he said he saw some real nice bucks that hunters had taken.How was the pressure out that way during bear season and deer season?I saw tons of guys in the woods during bear seaon over by the boyscout camp but basicallyno one during deer season.I killed a buck the second week of archery season so I was limited to hunt where I had dmap tags because I didn't apply for a 2G tag.I normally would have hit SGL 93 but had no reason to go there.I know several people that hunted it and did well.Mt one buddy killed a bear in there on the second afternoon.

This was probably the worst year I ever saw as far as bear were concerned.I never saw a bear all season and practically no sign.The acorns were spotty in places and the autum olive wasn't out in any of the areas I checked out.I did have a bear pushed to me on the first drive of the season but a lady on the other side of the hollow emptied here gun at it and turned it away from me.That was closest I came all year to seeing a live bear.

Iknow for a fact that the deer kill was way downin the areasI hit this year because no one was out there hunting.We've seen some nice bucks that made it through the season.I just hope they dodge the poachers bullets before next year.This was one of the worst years I've ever seen for big bucks getting poached.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

As soon as I got my deer out of the woods, I loaded it onto my car carrier and headed home with it. I was nervous about letting it hang in the warm weather we had since we weren't going home until Wed. As I drove out McGeorge and Four Mile Rds., I was amazed at the lack of cars. Hardly anyone parked along the roads. A nice buck screamed across Four Mile in front of me on my way out. As I got to the old nursery, about 1/2 doz. vehicles parked.
When I got my deer to the butchers, it was about 12:00 noon. Already some really nice racks there. Really nice. Dropped the old girl off, and headed back to camp. Saw no more deer the rest of the day. As far as hunting pressure out our way, it definitely was down. We did some driving on Tues., and although we saw some doe, no more bucks. I know they are or were still around, as some of our guys saw some really nice ones coming and going during bear season, and they didn't get them all, I'm sure.
Like you I didn't apply for antlerless in 2G. I did have DMAPS.
In archery season, one of my camp buddies saw the biggest bear he ever saw in his life. He said it looked like a black Volkswagen coming at him. It got to within about 50 yds., stood up, and must have been looking for him, as his scent probably caused it to stop. Denny said itwent down on all fours again, made a couple more bounds in his direction, stood up again to look for him, and then dropped to all fours, gave a woof, and bounded off in a 90 deg. direction. He said it was several minutes before he could regain his composure. But, we never saw it in bear season, naturally. Hope you're right about the poachers not killing all the bucks. They cheat all of us.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sound like you guys had a decent year.I'm glad to hear it.We'll have to try and get together some weekend when you come up.