Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer Numbers in MA >

Deer Numbers in MA

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Numbers in MA

Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Numbers in MA

I have been hunting MA for 3 years so I cam kind of a rookie. However I am just wondering how many deer you all see in MA on average from stand. I see maybe 5 a season up on the North Shore.

Thanks
Jim
Old 04-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Numbers in MA

I live and hunt on the S. Shore. I see a good many during archery season I'd say 15-20 I'm not always able to get a shot at them but I do see them from stand. During shotgun season that goes down to between 3-5 agin not all shooters or with in range. During Black Powder for some reason it goes down even more 2 or 3 and again not all shooters or with- in range. I hunt mostly in small woodlots where noone else hunts. (I hatecrowds. Some of these wood lots are only 3-5 ackers there so small most people over look them but I did shoot 5 deer in Ma last year so my thery seems to work well for me. Good luck Mike
Old 04-30-2006, 01:19 PM

I wacth a herd from the 6 floor window in concord and saw one of the biggest deer Ive ever sein at about 400yards, The number of sightings always go down during the hunt but If your from the north shore area I would hunt around newbury, ipswichs. and rowley, theres a ton of deer there and youll always see them during any hunt. try right off 95.. near boxford........
Old 04-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the answers guys. I am graduating in May and I think I am going to work in Lexington. Do you know of anywhere in or around Lexington????????? I would love to find a little area with some deer and be able to hang a stand for days if I get out of work early.

Jim
Old 04-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Spike

Neck...if I were you, I'd use a mapping website like topozone.com and find blocks of woods in the area you are interested in. Find sizeable blocks, print the map, and go for a drive to check them out. Access to the woods behind the housing is your primary concern...somewhere to park. You'll find hunting spots, IF you do your homework... DL
Old 05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
jf5

Well, allot depends on what part of MA and what season. Central, SW, and NE MA havea good amountof deer, many in small woodlots and other fringe cover. Bow hunters in these areas seem to have allot of sightings because of the low pressure, high density and the rut. For Gun, many of these deer are off limits due to access and discharge laws in some towns.

Currently I hunt western MA which has less deer. Some areas are of very lowdeer density (my guess less than 5 DPSM.) In 2004 I huntedfull or partialdays out of 8days during the gun season and saw no deer at all. This same area I hunted in 2005 for 5 days and saw three deer during gun.I alsogot a new spot. Hunted there 1.5 days and saw 12 deer and took a small buck. So it can vary from one part of the state to another and off courseit can vary fromcover to cover...

Over the years we average about2-5 deer sighted per person per gun season. My bow friends are seeing allot more...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Go out behind the hospital along the river In concord Its near the prison.. plenty of deer...you can park in the tennis court lot go across the street, there in there and no pressure..Id say it would be a good bow hunt Check the regs. on fire arms in that city....
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: sybigbuck

Go out behind the hospital along the river In concord Its near the prison.. plenty of deer...you can park in the tennis court lot go across the street, there in there and no pressure..Id say it would be a good bow hunt Check the regs. on fire arms in that city....
Good advice. Lots of deer in Concord area. Hard part is access and allot of anti's around. But I bet there are great spots to bow hunt...

Good luck
Old 05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't see too many here in Western MA on stand... and the we usually see the same deer over and over again.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey SYBigBuck I went out to the spot yesterday. Those tennis courts are part of the Concord Country club and it says Private property no tresspassing, members only. So I took that as I couldnt park there. I still got in those woods though. Couldnt really find much of a way to get directly behind the hospital. Also the area is posted no hunting a little farther down.

Looks like a no good on that spot.
Any other suggestions?

jim