Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hunting WV public land >

Hunting WV public land

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting WV public land

Old 10-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting WV public land

Hey guys newbyto websiteneeds some help. I live in Berkeley Springs (Morgan Co.) I own land that borders Sleepy Creek WMA. Hunting in Eastern Panhandle just hasnt been what it used to be.
A group of 6 of us (all Berk Springers) are thinking of going to hunt some of the Public Land in the state like Pendleton co. or Dolly Sodsare and I was wondering what to expect.
Will it be a sea of orange where we cant even find a place to camp?
Can any of you suggest a good place to try. We will not be using 4 wheelers and are open for any suggestions.

PS Ive read alot of comments about the Sleepy Creek hunting area and there arent as many hunters on this WMA like there used to be. The large ridge is right above my land and before morning what used to look like a interstate of flash lights has dwindled to one or 2 and has actually hurt my hunting because there is no one to push any deer down anymore.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Hunting WV public land

Unfortunately, anything in the northern half of WV is invaded by non residents big time..mostly MD and PA hunters. Head to the southern part of the state if you wish to have any area at all that doesnt look like a neon pumpkin patch. Even Short Mountain and Nathaniel Mountain in Hampshire County were overrun last year with NO CAMPING spots available at all for the entire buck season.

Nice to see a fellow Berkeley Springer on here!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dam you just Pee'd on my cornflakes. How far south do you think we need to go. We're up for about anything. What WMA's have you been to and its been busy and how long ago where you there. Do you know if you can camp anywhere in the WMAs or just certain ones.

The wildlife management peeps I talked to said most of those areas arent as crowded as it used to be. I just hate taking a chance ruining the season cruisng down there.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:53 PM

What about Greenbrier Co. Mongahelia national forest.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 PM

The Mong is always a good choice as there is so much area that it tends to spread the orange out.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tanzian have you or anyone ever been there before. I would like advice on what area to try. I know its a crap shoot seeing deer. Im more worried about having a good place to camp and not be overun with fools.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 AM

Been there many times... and it is always a crap shoot reguardless of how you prepare. Best thing to do is just be ready for all possibilities and be flexable in your options. I emailed you my number so we can talk more about it at length.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome. I will def. call. I need all the help I can get.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM

http://wvhunting.proboards26.com/index.cgi
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM

I've hunted in or around it most of my life.I generaly stay in the Auto area.

Quick Reply: Hunting WV public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.