Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New to NY Hunting - looking for private land >

New to NY Hunting - looking for private land

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New to NY Hunting - looking for private land

Old 08-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to NY Hunting - looking for private land

I am new to the state (live in Saratoga County) and am looking for some private land to hunt in NY. I am from PA and had good luck knocking on doors of farmers who would grant access. Can I expect similar luck in NY.

My father still lives in PA so I would like to hunt somewhere a bit to the South, probably Schoharie County.

Any advice? Is public land less crowded in NY than in PA?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to NY Hunting - looking for private land

Where in Saratoga County? I live in Clifton Park. I just moved here as well after a short 6 month stint in New Hampshire, however before that I was in PA for 8 years. I still don't have any land to hunt in NY that is worth buying tags for. I will hunt Vermont and PA this year. I hear the Albany Pine Bush is an excellent place to hunt, public land that is bowhunting only. I may try to hunt it for the 2006 season but haven't had the time to put in scouting it for this upcoming season.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 PM

i think you have the anderondack mountains by you but i not sure
Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Well if you want to hunt in Schoharie County, there should be some DEP land to hunt. The New York City water supply is in the Catskills coming from a few reservoirs. The DEP has bought up tons of land around the reservoirs in order to protect them. Sometimes the land they buy is miles from the water itself. You can obtain a free access permit and free hunting permit to hunt this land. Not all of it is open to hunting, but about 33,000 acres is open to hunting. I hunt it pretty often and almost never see anyone in the woods. Also, there is plenty of public land in the Catskills that I hunt that are rarely hunted by other people. The deer densities aren't always there, but there are plenty of land to go and find 'em. Hopefully this helps.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

most farmers around here(cayaga) have no problems with allowing you to hunt their land. as for public land i have often hunted the montazuma refuge with no problems... you just have to walk further into the swamp to get away from all the other hunters who dont want to get their feet wet. you also might want to subscribe to NY game and Fish outdoor magazine... they have a lot of good articals and list all of the hot spots for both hunting and fishing by county(shown with maps) best of luck to you this up coming season.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.

Public land is fine - I just want to get away from the crowds a bit. I am still feeling my way around a bit. I generally deer hunt with my father and we both have 30-30s, so that is another consideration of mine. It was a big surprise to me that so many upstate areas don't allow rifles for deer. I may just hunt the north country. I have a 12 guage with a fixed modified choke, and I doubt its very accurate shooting slugs past 30 yards. I would prefer to avoid spending any $$$ to buy a rifled barrel.

Any recommendations for small game on public land?

Anyone feel free to send me an email if you want to get together this fall for a hunt.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM

I am right around the corner from you guys in fulton county i picked up 550 acres of private land in ames and it is off the meter lots of deer and turkey!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Tom,
PM me. I used to live in Schenectady County and hunted many places. Maybe I can help. I scouted the Albany Pine Bush myself.