Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75 >

PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75

Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75

Hey all, I am going bear hunting for the first time this year. After some searching of likely areas I think I've decided to go to SGL 75 over in Lycoming county. Lycoming seems to have one of the highest bear harvests, so I figured that would be as good as spot as any to get my feet wet. My question is what is that game land like? Is it really hilly? Lots of woods or fields? And most importantly..is there a fair number of bears there or should I start looking for another place. I live in Erie County and I plan on making a trip out that way in late August to do some scouting, so until then I'm looking for any info that would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75

Not sure. We're in Sullivan (next door neighbors) and it's big woods. Mature forest with plenty of swamps mixed in. There should also be a fair amount of blueberry and blackberry thickets - good for bear. There are a lot of beech trees but not a lot of oaks. Lots of hemlock thickets and some heavy stands of mountain laurel. That's what it looks like a few miles away from you, at least.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Bear Hunting on SGL 75

.308, I hunt Lycoming county every year for bear. In fact I took a 415 lb boar there a few years back. We have been up to our camp the past few weeks and have seen an unusually high number of bears come into the feeder. Last week alone we had 7 different bear with the largest being roughly 500 lbs. If you don't have a place to stay or hunt I would suggest checking out the manor hotel in slate run. The place is beautiful with really nice rooms and tons of bear. The camps that go up over the mountain usually have a bunch of bear hanging the first day or two. Awhile back they harvested one that went about 625 lbs (we called him no nose because his nose was rubbed raw). You can hunt practiacally all the land you can see and if you get there on a Friday or Saturday you'll have time to talk to the locals at the bar and get some good ideas of where to start. I already have my spot picked out.