Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns > Muzzleloading Guns
 WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle >

WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Community
Muzzleloading Guns The smoking gun section.

WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Hand built by moi last winter from a Lyman kit. 50 Caliber, percussion. Walnut stock was stained and has 12 hand rubbed coats of tung oil on top. All of the steel and furniture has been browned with Laurel Mountain Forge solution and I rubbed it back with 000 steel wool to a patina look.

The trigger group has been tuned so that it doesn't take a gorilla to pull the log over a bunch of gravel when triggers are not set. Has a VERY light trigger when set, only a few ounces and zero creep.

I've put 30 or 40 rounds through her and she's accurate enough to print under 2 inches thus far @ 100 off of sandbags without doing much load development. I've only shot PBR's from it in front of 777 or pydrodex RS.

Have a hankering for another kit, a long rifle in flint. Thus I don't need this to sit around and take up space and not get used like I intended it to be.

I have personalized this rifle by engraving builders name and location of build in the top flat of the barrel. All of the other writing has been draw filed to leave a clean slate.

$450 + shipping... Or I can deliver it within say 30 miles of 49252...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM
FG

Default RE: WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle

interested in trading for a really really, REALLY Long .54cal smoothbore flintlock Musket?

African Trade Musket, .54cal smoothbore, Flintlock, Bore is in great shape but has a few tiny pit marks right at the mouth of the muzzle,Nothing bad at all. The rest of the bore is in great shape and smooth. Barrel measured 53 1/4" long.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 PM
FG

i'll get more pics if interested. This was in the process of restoring the rifle.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the offer but I'm looking more along the lines of an Isaac Haines Early PA long rifle....
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure these pictures are all of the same gun??? In the fourth picture the gun has a peep site and I can see that the wood grain is totally different from the gun in the other pics.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Flounder,

I am not sure where you are seeing a peep??? Are you mistaking the hammer @ half cock as a peep??? Yes the left side of the stock does in deed have a very dark and varied grain through the butt stock and the comb.

I guarantee this rifle to function properly and I will not misrepresent anything.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry rootsy not trying to say anything like that. I just thought another picture got on there by mistake.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

BTT - Don't be afraid to make a reasonable offer...
Old 11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job on the build.Did you sell this yet?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

No, I still have her.

Quick Reply: WTS - Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.