Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Trip to adams county >

Trip to adams county

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Trip to adams county

Old 06-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Trip to adams county

Hey folks, just wanted some info, Myself and a buddy are going to hunt whitetails in adams county illinois oct. 3-8 of this year with Hunting Unlimited inc in Mt sterling. Trying to figure out what type of gear to bring for the weather. Should i wear light boots for this time of the year or will my insolated boot be ok? what kind of temp. should I be expecting to hunt in. The outfitter told us, but I wanted to get some more opinions. Also any advice for hunting the early season out there would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:16 AM

Default RE: Trip to adams county

lou-lou i live about 40 miles west of adams county in mo. the weather for the most part is pretty nice in early oct., the temp will probably be in the 50's-60's the mornings will be a little chilly. it sounds nice to me i guess it may be cold depending on where your from. but i think a light boot would do the trick.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

lou-lou ;
I have been bowhunting for 4 years in a row with Hunting Unlimited Inc.
You'll have a great time there There are some awesome bucks on Larry's land. I'll be there come October for the Womens BowHuntWhatever Larry tells you to bring is right on, Larry knows his stuff. Larry always sets me up on food plots, clover fields, CRP fields we consentrate on the food sources and areas leading to the food sources, Larry and his guides spend alot of time in the preseason and in season scouting the areas with video cameras locating the big bucks and where they are keying in on, so listen to them they know what they are talking about , let the guides guide you, dont try to guide the guides. I always bring my light boots with 800 grams thinsulate and wear them, but I also bring the big Rocky pack boots also just incase the weather takes a temp dive, but I have never needed them, but I figure better safe than sorry. In the last 3 years hunting there I only needed the heavy camo coat once, usually the lightweight camo does it with the scentlok light coat and pants over it is plenty. Dont over look waterproof or rain wear, I hunted once there in the pooring rain and saw plenty of deer , watch the weather channel for the area before your hunt to plan the proper hunt clothing. Phillyis cooks some great meals, and a good bottle of wine will go along way with Larry
You'll have a great time at Hunting Unlimited , Larry, Phillyis and the guys are some of the nicest hard working down to earth folks I know. Enjoy the Big Bucks and I hope you get a good one.
Deborah
Old 06-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lady Forge-having been born & raised in Ill. I am curious as to why you Bowhunt with an outfitter? (Please-do not take this as a negative) We know Ill. has decent Bucks almost the entire state but not a P&Y or B&C behind every tree. Just curious-what is the cost & length of the Bowhunt? Have you taken a P&Y or had a shot opertunity with this operation? I know Bowhunting-I see Excellent Bucks every year(several public) just not within bow range & about the time we figure them out-something happens-thats why they are BIG. Have a good season & hope you take a good one.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

It is usually pretty warm that first week of October. I have seen temps in the 90's that first week or as low as 40's.

I'd suggest light rubber boots for scent control along with light camo outerwear such as scent-loc. You can always layer more clothes underneath.

It is a good time to hunt feed patterns such as along the food plots you mentioned.

Good luck!

LLBUX
Old 06-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I hunt with an outfitter is .... when I first began bowhunting I had no private land to bowhunt since I didnt grow up in this state I really didnt know that many people well enough to gain access to bowhunt their private land , A large portion of this area near me is hunted by family or friends and you gotta take a # and wait in line to gain access, I was lucky to find 2 small areas to hunt privately but even still I was not the only person being allowed to bowhunt these private area's,I had only public hunting land to hunt .... and the pro's versis the con's of hunting public land sometimes was the con's were outweighing the pro's... sometimes the hunts were GREAT but sometimes there were some ugly situations . My Husband was on the IDNR website one day and noticed that the IDNR was Sponsoring a Women's Bowhunt at Hunting Unlimited Inc and the cost for a 2 day fully guided bowhunt for bucks and does, with food and lodging included was $150.00... the hubby said you cant miss this...... plus I got to meet other women bowhunters, I didnt know any other women Bowhunters until then.
So I went , had an AWESOME time, meet some great ladie bowhunters like Joella Bates( IBO World Champ), Brenda Potts, Michelle from (Muzzy Broadheads), Lisa Price( Freelance Archery Writter) , yummy food, good wine and some awesome bowhunting, Larry and Phillyis and I seemed to really hit it off and they treated me like family( they call me their problem child)[8D], shot my 2 deer and couldn't wait to do it all again.
Hunting with them gave me the chance to experience a High Quality Bowhunt on private land without worrying that some public land hunter would come walking through at the wrong time and mess up my hunt and to me it is worth every penny I spend on it to experience that. I have continued to return every year even though the IDNR no longer sponsors the hunt and the price has gone up to $600.00 for a 3 day hunt, but Larry asked me about this .. since the other outfitter Heartland outfitters was getting $600.00 for his womens bowhunt Larry wanted to know what I thought he should do about his cost and I told him that I thought he should also charge $600.00, ya it cost me more now but looking at it from a buisness standpoint I think it's wise move, and I feel it is well worth the increased cost.Larry now holds a womens bowhunt with Hunting Unlimited Inc and Heartland outfitters so we get to bowhunt both outfitters land. Larry really cares about the lands in our state and the health of the states herd, and has also sat on the conservation congress, And I would love to see him stay in business and continue to be successful at it and see more successful bowhunters leave his land with a successful hunt and great experience. To this day I still have very small and limited access to private land and I hunt a county area that I have to pay to hunt.... so I really enjoy the chance to enjoy a private land bowhunt without others messing up my hunts. I have been successful in shooting 2 does, one 8 point buck, and a button buck( which I misstook for a doe) before I started wearing glasses at hunting unlimited, I have passed up many bucks and does and a few coons[8D] I did wait on a Huge buck across the field but he never made it my way, the buck I took was smaller than I thought so last year I didnt take a buck , even though I passed up 6 different bucks waiting on the chance to take a truely mature buck, I saw them but never had the shot opportunity at one last year.
And I hope you also have a successful bowhunting season