Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois deer lottery >

Illinois deer lottery

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois deer lottery

Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Spike

Default Illinois deer lottery

Well, going to apply for my first deer tag in Illinois, I am a resident. I am trying to get a firearm permit I will take either first or second season, I am thinking about applying for starved rock and Lowden-miller. My question is, would I have more of a chance of obtaining a permit if I just applied for antlerless only either sex, or just either sex. I know some public site are antlerless only. In your experience what tag do most people apply for and get denied. Or does the site your applying for have the greater weight. Or have you ever been denied? Sorry, for the noob questions but thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Conquistador, Not a bad question. I am a 25 year veteran and can advise that the Illinois resident firearm lottery stats are a complete mystery. They have never published anything. I can only tell you of my observations. I always apply for a high demand property buck tag and select 2nd season only as well. Then for my second choice a little known property I know well. I draw my first choice about 25% of the years. I draw the 2nd choice about 50% of the years. No tag 25% of the years. These same patterns apply for my friends. I don't know about any antlerless only sites, but if you applied for one I'm sure you would draw. I suggest only doing that for your 2nd choice. You have a good chance at getting a buck tag for your first choice. That is IF you pick a property at least 2 hour drive from Chicago and 1 hour from St. Louis. In those areas I have NEVER drawn a gun permit so I quit trying.

Sorry we don't publish stats that's because our state employees are too busy counting the days and minutes until their outrageous unsustainable state employee pensions kick in while we pay our $15,000/year property tax bills for 3BR/2BA dumps. We need Scott Walker to overthrow Mike Madigan.

Last edited by Zim; 03-30-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Spike

Thanks, for the useful information, I read the Hunting and trapping digest, the harvest reports and asked around but couldn't find any real stats about you lottery itself. 15k in property tax, ouch that's like Naperville prices. Im not picky about buck with antlers, antlerless or does, I just want to make sure I am approach deer hunting safely, legally and ethically. The only way to do that is get out there right. I don't know much, so anything I could pick up before I get out there would be a plus. I hope to get the chance.