Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Aitkin County Minnesota >

Aitkin County Minnesota

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Aitkin County Minnesota

Old 02-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Aitkin County Minnesota

My family is buying some land up that way. What's the hunting like around there? I'm sure I'll find out when I visit just thinking about a new hunting spot excites me.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

What part of the county?
Down by Mille Lacs Lake? or up north by Hill City?
I own land just south of Hill City and its decent. Had a few bad storms the last couple years, done some damage to the standing timber there.
The Reservation is pretty strict about hunting down by Mille Lacs. But as to the rest of the county, I can't speak to that. My buddy had a place with his dad and uncles near McGregor, and they usually did good every year.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 02-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

It's north of Mille lacs lake . My brother is going to send me a grid soon. Is there much public hunting land ?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a fair amount of public land. Much of it is hidden (not well marked), meaning you NEED to get a GOOD map of the area.

But, I caution you now.
Aitkin county is the epitome of north woods BIG WOODS hunting. There are tracts of public land that stretch for miles in any direction. The only reason you know you have neighbors is the mail box on the road. Even though their house might only be 100' off the road.

I'm not kidding when I tell you.
We had a doe several years ago, not 30 yards in front of us (3 guys, myself, my dad and out hunting partner). We did not have a shot, we couldn't see enough of her to get a good shot. And thinking about it now, I'm not 100% sure it was a doe. The bucks up here are called basket racks, because they look like basket ball hoops. Even the field fed deer don't get very big. We just don't have the genetics or food to produce BIG bucks.

Much of the county is also swampy, think of dog hair and you get an idea how thick most of it is. Don't get me wrong I love hunting here, there is lots of Grouse, Deer, Bears, Rabbits, Ducks.
And home to some of the best, hands down, fishing lakes in the upper midwest. You'll enjoy being here.

If the claustrophobia don't get you first.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 02-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

I like the sounds of the big woods that will make for an interesting hunt. Im sure the fishing is awesome as well.

My brother did call me and tell me about the first place they looked at said that I had a lot of what hey called saw grass said it looked like a wet land.

Thanks for the response I hoping to get up there this year or next
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much the whole county could be classified as "wetland" if the wrong bureaucrat got involved. And MN is home to far too many of them.
High ground in Aitkin county, is only about 2' higher than the saw grass your brother told you about.