Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
UP hunting advice >

UP hunting advice

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

UP hunting advice

Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default UP hunting advice

OK, I've never been to Michigan's UP before but I'm thinking about booking a cabin around Escanaba for the week of Thanksgiving so I can deer hunt and explore some new country. Anybody have any advice? I don't know what I'm getting into necessarily but I have hunted VT and NH this same way so I sort of know how to do this.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My Deer camp has a Rapid River address and is about 21 miles east of Escanaba. there is a lot of State and Federal land that doesn't see a lot of hunters per season in the area. Be aware that a couple of winters have put a big hurt on the deer population. It at one time was normal to see about 6 deer a day now it isn't unnormal to not see a deer in 6 days. Also keep in mind that the local population do bait deer in and the season has been going for 8 days by thanks giving.

You may want to research the area closer to Menominee Mich. many farms there and a bit more south so the deer will be better fed during deep snows off farm crops. Also avoid the wolf release areas. Friends near Michagamei has not seen a deer in 4 years or a track either on his property near a wolf release area.

Al
Old 12-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I definitely want the big woods experience even if I don't see anything.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

buy at least 2 really compasses, one to use daily a back when you think the first compass isn't working right !!! UP and northern Wi is Big Woods
Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good idea HH!
Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Just get a GPS a good one that will work under heavy evergreen cover. I have several places on my property where two people standing shoulder to shoulder can have 2 different compass readings. It is because of the iron deposits that will pull the magnetize needles.

I like the area from east of Rapid River north of US 2 to the garden Cut off.

There is a lot of federal land south of US 2 west of Nahma to St.Jakes(English pronounced.). This area has a lot of cranberry bogs so you can about have to do a low crawl thru a cedar swamp it is so thick and come out on a Cranberry bog and shoot a deer over 200 yards across it, I have.
I carry a set of pruning shears in a handy pocket for going thru those cedar swamps.

All this is Delta county if you want to order maps. Up FF 13 (goes to Munising) there is a camp ground called the flowing well if you want to camp.
Sort of in the middle of what I call a great area.

Al
Old 12-31-2016, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I highly recommend the Camel Riders Resort. Brother and I spent a week snowmobiling the area before I bought my deer camp. Great friendly people to deal with.
https://schoolcraftcountychamber.org/camelriders/

Al
Old 12-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks I'll check into it.