Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Ohio Gun season >

Ohio Gun season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Gun season

Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, a small 1" spike buck came in tonight and had been previously hit. So I shot him and tagged it as antlerless (Less than 3") not what I wanted to shoot but his front left leg was swinging. I skinned him out and cut that whole shoulder off... There was a slight odor, but nothing discolored or no puss looking stuff. The rest of the meat looks fine.. Haven't fully decided what to do but I think it's probably alright.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Ohio Gun season-img_7492.jpg  

Last edited by Bocajnala; 12-04-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Well, a small 1" spike buck came in tonight and had been previously hit. So I shot him and tagged it as antlerless (Less than 3") not what I wanted to shoot but his front left leg was swinging. I skinned him out and cut that whole shoulder off... There was a slight odor, but nothing discolored or no puss looking stuff. The rest of the meat looks fine.. Haven't fully decided what to do but I think it's probably alright.
-Jake
Good job Jake and he should be fine eating the way you handled him!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Ya, I think it's fine. Cut it up and everything looked, smelled, and tasted Alright.
-Jake
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

went to the orthopedic doctors on Friday and he drained my knees to get the fluid out of them and then shot some cortisone into them. didn't get out this weekend. feeling a lot better but not going out walking on them. can still watch the field but nothing is moving. calling it a season. maybe next year will be better.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

So, I got lucky with the schedule at work... Another guy needed this monday off and offered to work my Saturday night.... Which means I'll be able to hunt Ohio's two day gun season next weekend. Had I been working I only would have been able to get out for probably two hours.... I'll get off Saturday morning at 0700 and head south to one of the big game lands. Should be in the woods by 930... Camp down there for the night and hunt all day Sunday then drive back home and suffer through a long night of work Sunday night.... Don't even care if I see a deer just happy to get to go out. This late season is one of my favorite hunts... Usually there's snow and it's usually cold. Perfect for me to still hunt. I'll be carrying the Marlin .44mag. See if I can make something happen.
-Jake
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

mr slim hope your feeling better & as for the extended gun seasonthis weekend they are saying 8-10 inches of snow falling friday afternoon into friday nite & then saturday temps rising to 45 to 50 deg with afternoon rain & sunday going back into a cold snap maybe saturday afternoon the deer will be up & feeding we let you all know how it goes
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

Smile

morning all it's 345 am & getting up & ready to leave here in about a hr 22 deg out & slightly snowing about a foot of snow on the ground but not fresh from last nite going to 48 deg & rain is perdicted around 10 am & heavy @ times hopefully kill a nice doe before that if not will be in ground blind by then & tomorrow hi is 28 will be interesting the next 2 days
Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

seen 8 deer today in his miserable sloppy weather all too far to shoot at except this big racked 10 pointer who never knew i was with in 100 yrds broad side only 1 problem i already tagged oot on a 6 pointer on opening day of gun season he actually stood there munching away on my bait pile for over 3 minutes oh well thats life
Old 12-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Wish I was out with you! I was out all day Saturday, and all of Sunday except about a 2 hour break to head to church. Didn't see a single deer. Did get to do some still hunting though. Followed a fresh track a long way Saturday morning... turned out to be a small buck.... he made two fresh rubs along the way, and after about two hours of following him I heard a hunter shoot twice ahead of me... sure enough about two hundred yards away the guy had shot it. A nice little 7 point... happy for him, but wish I'd gotten to him first!
-Jake
Old 12-19-2016, 02:13 AM
Typical Buck

went out sunday waist of time but had a good time it was frozen over with ice & if you walked sounded like somebody breaking glass sound travel far & so if you moved everybody in that country could hear you . tried still hunting to kick something up but no good . did'nt even see a track on sunday. hey what can i say but my favorite season is coming up in jan 7 to the 10 MUZZLELOADER SEASON IS THE REASON

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.