Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New Deer Hunter in Illinois - Need help >

New Deer Hunter in Illinois - Need help

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New Deer Hunter in Illinois - Need help

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Spike

Default New Deer Hunter in Illinois - Need help

So I've been hunting all my life for small game, but decided to up the ante this year and bag a deer. The IDNR website is only somewhat helpful in explaining all that is required. So this is why I've come here for advice. Please answer in numbered responses (as I laid out below) for ease on my brain!

Questions:
1. For archery deer hunting (on my own property of just a few acres) is all I need a $26 Archery permit? I already have a standard hunting license.

2. Is there a difference between a "permit" and a "tag"?

3. I've heard there are "check stations" for CWD but cannot find any info online. Are they still requiring this? Deer will be taken in DuPage county. Looks like all I have to do is call the check in hotline, but I don't know...

4. Is there a lottery for these $26 permits? It says on the IDNR website I can purchase one at the local WalMart.

5. Does it make a difference whether I take a buck or a doe?

Let my know what you guys think and help me get started here, if you would! Thanks!!!
Old 10-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Carter33
So I've been hunting all my life for small game, but decided to up the ante this year and bag a deer. The IDNR website is only somewhat helpful in explaining all that is required. So this is why I've come here for advice. Please answer in numbered responses (as I laid out below) for ease on my brain!

Questions:
1. For archery deer hunting (on my own property of just a few acres) is all I need a $26 Archery permit? I already have a standard hunting license.

2. Is there a difference between a "permit" and a "tag"?

3. I've heard there are "check stations" for CWD but cannot find any info online. Are they still requiring this? Deer will be taken in DuPage county. Looks like all I have to do is call the check in hotline, but I don't know...

4. Is there a lottery for these $26 permits? It says on the IDNR website I can purchase one at the local WalMart.

5. Does it make a difference whether I take a buck or a doe?

Let my know what you guys think and help me get started here, if you would! Thanks!!!
1. You will need a hunting license and a habitat stamp. ($12.50 ,+ $5.50)

2. No. People just call them different things.

3. There is noe requirement for getting Dupage county deer tested for CWD. However, if you wanted a harvested deer tested you could drop the required head at a location in a neighboring county like Will county or Kane county. (see 2nd attached link)

4. No there is not a lottery on the archery permits you are looking to obtain. $26 will get you an either-sex permit as well as an antlessless-only permit. You are allowed a total of 2 antlered deer each year regardless of whether it is 2 by archery OR 2 by firearm OR 1 by archery & 1 by firearm. You will want to have some zip ties with you to attach an archery permit to any harvested deer. Also, upon receipt it is best practice to immediately sign your license and permits as they are not valid if unsigned. (Yes I have seen CPOs iaaue citations for unsigned permits)

5. You make take a buck or a doe with any valid either-sex permit. You may only take antlerless deer with valid antlerless-only permits. In Illinois a deer with antlers UNDER 3-inched are considered anlerless. (Word of caution. You best know for sure how long those little spikes are.)

6. You should think about if you will butcher or you need to find a butcher BEFORE you harvest an animal.

BTW I just moved into Dupage county from Will county and we archery hunt land in Will county.

Good luck.

I suggest you review the info provided in the following links.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting...ted.aspx#name5

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/program...s/default.aspx

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-07-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thanks, Uncle Matt!

That was extremely helpful and you clearly exemplify what it means to contribute to a forum! Many thanks!

So...uh.... is that really your hand in your avatar photo? Please explain.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is not my hand.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Spike

Any limit on does? Like, can I just go buy more archery deer tags and take as many does as I want? There are a TON of them around my property...
Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

lmk if you need any help with deer hunting in DuPage Co...

best of luck to you!

I think there is no limit on does... although 6 doe tags kind of rings a bell for me, but I believe there is no limit.